1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No more Prius Prime.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Salamander_King, Nov 25, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    escape is a phev

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    TSS first in the industry? Pretty sure Volvo was the first with the advanced safety aids, and quite some time ago. As in when Ford owned them.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In 2019, five car companies—Tesla, MB, Volvo, Toyota/Lexus, and Audi—led in electronic safety systems and everyone else was far behind them. Among those five, only Toyota was a nonluxury manufacturer.

Car companies | Key safety systems—Consumer Reports

I don't think I can afford a Volvo, and I wouldn't trust anything Tesla makes.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Um, that is just a list on how close the company is to having all models with standard AEB. It says nothing about how well the systems work.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone has his/her own reason for picking a car that works best for his/her use case. While some/many are loyal to a particular brand, I don't have any loyalty to Toyota. I do admit that I am a bit biased toward Japanese makers, but if I have to pick one favorite maker, then Honda is my favorite. I would rather own the Rav4Prime than Escape PHEV, but for the reasons I have explained already, Ford Escape was the ONLY car that fits the bill for trading the 2021 PP this year for my use case.

I have not had a Ford since the Taurus well over two decades ago... maybe three decades? While I do have some doubts about the brand for the long-term reliability and retaining the value, for 3 years or so of interim ownership before switching to a BEV, I think the car should work fine. The two issues I had with the PP, the cargo space and ground clearance are addressed by switching to a compact SUV. Since we do not need 7 passenger seats of the Pathfinder we currently own as a second car, if the Escape cargo is large enough for our hauling needs, we should be able to consolidate two cars into one, saving quite a bit on fuel, maintenance, and insurance/tax costs. One of the major reasons for this purchase, aside from the federal tax credit, is to reduce overall gasoline consumption. We have already cut our household gas consumption by half since the pre-Pandemic by reducing driving on our cars. With Escape's rated 37 miles EV range which I believe I can extend at least 20% more, so more like 45 miles EV range, we should be able to reduce our household gas consumption even further in coming years.

I will post the projected cost-saving analyses later. But here is the comparison of cargo space and ground clearance differences for the three vehicles.

upload_2022-11-27_22-22-40.png

#45 Salamander_King, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, the Prius Prime is not an SUV. That's why it has 50% higher gas mileage than the Escape among other things. ;)

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Which cars have all of the following electronic safety systems that come with the Gen 5 Prius Prime, including lane-change assist, front cross-traffic alert, advanced park, and traffic-jam assist, as well as crucial features not listed here such as the blind-spot monitor?

Safety

For 2023, Prius Prime will come standard with the latest Toyota Safety Sense generation, TSS 3.0. This suite of active safety systems includes the existing feature set available on the prior generation Prius Prime but includes some additional enhancements and capabilities.

This suite of safety features includes:

• Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
    • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
    • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
    • Lane Tracing Assist
    • Road Sign Assist
    • Automatic High Beams
    • Proactive Driving Assist
    Another new addition to Prius Prime’s safety features is Proactive Driving Assist. When system operating conditions are met, using the vehicle’s camera and radar, this system provides gentle braking into curves or gentle braking and/or steering to help support driving tasks such as distance control between a preceding vehicle, pedestrian or bicyclist. Proactive Driving Assist is not meant to be a substitute for the Pre-Collision System and operates in different circumstances.

The Toyota Safety Sense features from the prior generation Prius Prime have been enhanced for TSS 3.0:

• The Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection has enhanced detection capabilities thanks to new system sensors. It receives enhanced intersection support with improved detection capability in certain circumstances. It also adds the capability to detect motorcyclists, in addition to bicyclists and pedestrians.
    • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist has enhanced lane recognition that includes detection of certain 3D objects, like guardrails, that may be used to help define the lane.
    • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control adds a fourth following distance setting, from the previously available three. Enhanced vehicle detection allows for the ability to detect more than one preceding vehicle, as well as vehicles in adjacent lanes. This helps the system to provide smoother, more natural speed adjustments, especially when the driver changes lanes.
    • Like Lane Departure Alert, lane recognition is enhanced for Lane Tracing Assist. This system now also helps provide more space between vehicles being passed in adjacent lanes. It works by offsetting the vehicles’ driving path with minor steering adjustments while keeping the vehicle within its lane.
    • An Emergency Driving Stop System has been added to Lane Tracing Assist. It’s designed to monitor the driver’s inputs, such as steering operation, to determine if they’re inattentive or non-responsive, such as during a medical emergency. This feature can bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver doesn’t respond to alerts to take control.
    • Road Sign Assist gets expanded sign detection capabilities that now include certain intersection signs and warning signs, like pedestrian crossings.
    Prius Prime – Upgraded Convenience

Prius Prime will also come standard with some additional features made possible by the equipped front corner radar sensors and a driver monitor camera. These features include Lane Change Assist, Front Cross Traffic Alert, Advanced Park and, a first among the Toyota line-up, Traffic Jam Assist.

Lane Change Assist works in collaboration with Lane Tracing Assist, meaning it also only operates when DRCC is activated. When a driver partially engages the turn signal, the system sensors monitor to confirm there are no vehicles in the path of the lane change, and then provides steering support into the new lane with the driver’s hands on the steering wheel.

Front Cross Traffic Alert uses the front corner radar sensors to detect vehicles approaching from the side in situations such as when stopped at an intersection. Arrows are displayed to warn the driver, and if the driver attempts to proceed when there’s cross traffic, the vehicle provides an audible alert and warning on the MID.

Advanced Park executes the necessary steering and brake controls to navigate the vehicle into a selected parking space. Advanced Park is capable of parallel parking, backing into a perpendicular parking space, and can assist in exiting a parking space, all hands-free under the driver’s supervision.

Traffic Jam Assist is a first to Toyota and Prius Prime and can help take some of the stress out of the low-speed, stop-and-go driving in a traffic jam. When driving on a highway with DRCC and LTA activated, if the system sensors detect traffic is slowing, and if operating conditions are met, this system will assist by providing acceleration, braking and hands-free steering control under active supervision of the driver. This system is designed to operate only under speeds of approximately 25 miles per hour, and the driver monitor camera must confirm the driver has their eyes on the road to allow for hands-free operation. If operating conditions are no longer met, or if the speed of traffic increases beyond 25 miles per hour, the system will prompt the driver to take control of the vehicle.

Updated November 21, 2022.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unclear where this thread is headed...

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my final true cost-to-own/operate analysis on the 2021 Prius Prime Limited I just traded in. For comparison, I am also showing the same cost analyses I did for the previous two PPs.

The 2021 PP was the second car I owned and sold that ended up with a gain. This includes all the costs, purchase price, interest paid if financed, fuel, service, parts, accessories, insurance, taxes, fees, and price the car sold. This was possible because of the huge incentives/tax credit making the initial purchase price very low in addition to the current hot used car market and the high resale value of the Toyota cars.

upload_2022-11-28_10-4-15.png

Bottom line, Prius Prime was the most economical car I have ever owned. PERIOD.

#49 Salamander_King, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Louis19 likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the Pathfinder, isn't the 2nd row value really for the value for the third row folded down with the 2nd row still up?

Whether the Escape can replace it comes down to what exactly you are hauling. Maybe a roof or hitch rack is all the Ford needs for you.

Your original post on this topic was claiming TSS was an industry first. It could be a very good system in operation, but it isn't the first.

The Prius got blind spot monitor standard when the Ioniq came out with it standard. My Subaru has basic traffic jam assist. Honda may have been first to market with the more advanced suite. Mazda and Audi/Skoda also have them. I would not be shocked if Toyota TSS is using Subaru and Mazda tech.
    Honda and Toyota introduce new ADAS systems
    Doesn't sound like the new Prius will have the lidar.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, the 2nd-row volume for the Pathfinder is the volume behind the 2nd-row seats with the 3rd-row seats folded. For us, that number for Pathfinder is not that important unless we happen to have passengers in the second-row seats. It is the max cargo space behind the 1st-row seats that need to be compared. We use Pathfinder with the both 2nd and 3rd rows of seats folded most of the time. The size wise 65.4 cf vs 79.8 cf may or may not be substantial, depending on what needs to be hauled. Since we can no longer place 4'x8' plywood flat on the cargo space of the Pathfinder like I used to do with the Sienna, the largest and bulkiest material we haul routinely are the bale of straws. The standard 3-string bales of straw we purchase have dimensions of 24" x 46-48" x 15-16". In Pathfinder, we can easily place 10 of them. I think in Escape, we may have to reduce the number a bit maybe 6 or 8.

Then there is a time I need to carry 4 people and luggage for multiple-day trips. I can't do that with a PP, but the Pathfinder can handle it easily. If the Escape can handle this trip without a car-top carrier, then it is a keeper.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!!! Hope you're enjoying the Bolt as much as I am. Two and a half months and over 6,000 miles so far. As with the Prime, I find myself looking for reasons to drive it. :D

That Escape does sound impressive, @Salamander_King. Hope it proves to be reliable for you. (y)

Salamander_King and joachimz like this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A cargo rack for a hitch may let the Escape haul as many bales as the Pathfinder. Besides being cheaper, it may not need wiring for lights like a trailer.

Will also give extra space for travel. Need to watch the weight some compared to a roof rack, but it isn't putting a huge aero load like packing stuff on the roof.

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife just went out for the first ride on the Escape. It is fully charged, so for where she is going and back, it should all be on EV, but she wanted to set it at "EV Auto" and "NEVER TOUCH" the mode button. LOL Yep, as long as this car is going to be shared between me and DW, it will have some up and down on its efficiency.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I thought about getting a roof rail and carrier for the PP for a while, but in the end, it was easier to just drive a larger car when more cargo needed to be hauled. I remember days when we had a minivan filled with kids and pets and all the luggage had to go into the roof box. Loading, tieing up (although today's rooftop carrier may not need straps to tie to the roof bars), and unloading required a small step ladder... I really don't miss it. I am not going to bother with the roof rack. On the other hand, a small cargo rack on a hitch may be something I may investigate, especially if it is easy to put on and off and not too expensive.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't care less who had what first. The only thing I care about is the features the car I am driving has and how well they work. TSS 3.0 with Prius Prime add-ons will be a huge upgrade over TSS 2.0.

Subaru does not have traffic-jam assist. It only has DRC and LKA, which are probably not even as well-implemented as in Gen 4 Prius Prime with TSS 2.0. Gen 4 Prius Prime with TSS 2.0 can already follow the vehicles and stay in the lane center in stop-and-go traffic. Gen 5 Prius Prime will also have automatic lane change and will allow entirely handsfree operation.

#56 Gokhan, Nov 28, 2022
  17. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I sold my 202 Prime Limited in July and picked up a BMW i4 EV. I had pre-ordered it in July 2021 and it was delivered in July 2022. I am very happy with this purchase. I have had several road trips and found charging not to be a problem. Good luck with your new car.

bisco, Gokhan and Salamander_King like this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Did it come with highway-speed automatic emergency braking and radar cruise control with lane centering? It lists them as optional features.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Eyesight is one of the most highly rated collision avoidance systems the IIHS has tested. Always been Superior for the Outbacks; the Prius started at Advanced. Please share any source rating the other functions.

With dynamic cruise and lane keeping on, my '22 Outback has no problem following and stopping in traffic. It won't start from a stop on its own, but does alert you when the car ahead has moved, then it just takes a tap of the accelerator to continue.

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You spend so much time on HEV/PHEV/BEV forums and then buy a non-EV? Go figure. :)

Those IIHS ratings are hardly ratings, as they are very coarse. Prius Prime is rated superior as well.

Your system only steers the car in the center of the lane markings, which is the same as in the outgoing Prius Prime with TSS 2.0. Gen 5 Prius Prime with TSS 3.0 will do the following:

Traffic-Jam Assist is a first to Toyota and Prius Prime and can help take some of the stress out of the low-speed, stop-and-go driving in a traffic jam. When driving on a highway with DRCC and LTA activated, if the system sensors detect traffic is slowing, and if operating conditions are met, this system will assist by providing acceleration, braking and hands-free steering control under active supervision of the driver. This system is designed to operate only under speeds of approximately 25 miles per hour, and the driver monitor camera must confirm the driver has their eyes on the road to allow for hands-free operation. If operating conditions are no longer met, or if the speed of traffic increases beyond 25 miles per hour, the system will prompt the driver to take control of the vehicle.

So, this new thing will allow full automation for speed less than 25 mph.

I also really like proactive driving assist in TSS 3.0. I always wished the car braked into curves etc., and my wishes have come true. I am guessing that your Subaru lacks this as well.

Another new addition to Prius Prime’s safety features is Proactive Driving Assist. When system operating conditions are met, using the vehicle’s camera and radar, this system provides gentle braking into curves or gentle braking and/or steering to help support driving tasks such as distance control between a preceding vehicle, pedestrian or bicyclist. Proactive Driving Assist is not meant to be a substitute for the Pre-Collision System and operates in different circumstances.

I wonder if these cameras are for advanced park only:

[​IMG]

#60 Gokhan, Nov 28, 2022