1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No need to power off while refueling...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those of you not shutting down when refueling, do yourselves and the rest of us a favor, and don't wear your seatbelt either. I mean, it just gets in the way all the time, and it hasn't once saved your life, so what's the big deal, right?

The statistical risk of a fire at the pump may be minuscule, but so are a lot of other risks that you routinely safeguard against. Fuel is normally nicely enclosed by the fuel system/engine, but during refueling it's volatile and potentially explosive. You've already gone out of your way to reduce the number of visits to the pump by buying a Prius, so don't sweat it if you have to shut down.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    MANY years ago I pumped gas to put myself through collage. This lasted 4 years. In that time I had one vehicle catch on fire because his engine was running, and two vehicles that drove away while the pump was running, ripping the nossle off the hose and badly damaging the vehicle.

Turn your car OFF while refueling please. If I catch you in ready I WILL report you to the attendant. They are trained to shut off pumps where this is happening - for a reason!

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Oct 8 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]522909[/snapback]</div>
    If it's in print, it must be right thing to do!
    [laughing]

I can't believe this is so. What page/which document, exactly, states this? It would, indeed, be in violation of a number of State laws.

If it's a diesel engine-powered vehicle being refueled, there's no spark and --more importantly-- the fuel has a much higher flashpoint than gasoline does (to withstand the high compression and resist preignition), so it's okay to leave the engine running. Even the vapors of diesel fuel will not be ignited by open flame, after all.

That's why I said that the "leave it on while refueling" danger applies primarily to a GASOLINE powered vehicle.

4. psikot

psikot New Member

the whole thing sounds like a case for mythbusters.

5. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sister was burned to death ... she had the car running and an accident occurred b/c of this ... please don't leave your car running.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Question for those of you who keep the engine running and "I've done it hundreds of times with no problem": Is your retirement plan based on winning the lottery?

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 9 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]523226[/snapback]</div>
    This comment was too much.... I couldn't avoid chuckling. Especially the part about one's retirement plan being based on winning the lottery....

Even when I had my Diesel Rabbit, I would shut off the engine when I re-fueled it. At the time, my reasoning was that if I left the engine running while I was refueling, I would be wasting fuel. I owned the Diesel Rabbit during the first series of petroleum shocks and fuel was arguably more dear then than today - you could only buy fuel (gas or diesel) on odd or even days (depending on whether your license plate ending number was odd or even).

8. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I do shut mine off (as stated earlier). But I wonder how many of these reported fires with engine running were actually BECAUSE of the engine, or just coincidental static electricity? We'll never know. The engine running is certainly an easy target to blame, but it seems to me that the kind of person who would leave it running is also the kind of person who would get in and out of the car while fueling. *THAT* can definitely cause static electricity, and static electricity can cause fuel fires -- MythBusters proved that...

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never really needed a helmet, or a seatbelt, or an airbag, or life insurance, but that won't stop me from taking precautions. Not turning your vehicle off during refueling is a big, nasty accident waiting to happen. Don't be so stupid.

10. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 9 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]522997[/snapback]</div>
    The Petroleum Industry Regulations say it all. Internal combustion engines and hot exhaust systems are sources of ignition. Turn off your Prii when refueling !!!!!!

11. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've needed a helmet once... fortunately I had one handy at the time, and it was even on my head, and probably saved me from serious injury or death. But I haven't needed a seatbelt yet, so I think I'm ok not wearing one. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Oct 9 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]523234[/snapback]</div>
    That's the important point, I think. Ask anyone working in a high-risk job who is responsible for safety, and I'm sure they'll say the key is not that any one part of their dangerous environment will kill you, but that a lax attitude in a dangerous environment is what will get you killed. Engine off is one small step in reminding yourself that a liquid-fuel station is a dangerous environment that deserves just a little bit extra of your attention.

Or as Hyo more succinctly stated: Don't be stupid.

12. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's a Mythbuster's cell phone link: http://mythbustersresults.com/episode2

While I admit turning the vehicle off during refueling is a good and easy precaution, what is the rationale behind it? What would the ignition scenario be that could explain a fire caused by a running vehicle? At least a vehicle in reasonably proper repair. I mean if you have a leak in the fuel system that could spray fuel while the engine is running, mayb.

But that fails to account for the danger from Joe Blow pulling up next to you with his running vehicle. The fact is engines are running al around you while you are fueling, they are turning off and on and turning on all kinds of electrical gadgets.

The only real danger is a static build-up and discharge by the person removing (or inserting) the re-fueling hose. This is where fires start. Any other cause seems to involve some type of malfunctioning equipment, be it the car or alleged cell phone.

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

For christ's sake, the RX400H has an f'n indicator... you park it... open the gas door... and it says ready to refuel without shutting off ANYTHING. Don't ask me to open manual... go testdrive one yourself.

14. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 8 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]522982[/snapback]</div>
    While you are off paying for your gas someone else could hop in and drive off, like steal your car. I shut mine down.

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seriously, if there's a REAL reason to shut off the engine then I'll do it. Until then, I'll pull up to a pump, push the park button, and begin my fueling. It's not like strapping in a seatbelt, where it's a proven safety precaution. There's no real danger from not shutting off the engine, is there. Most pump fires are caused by static charge. I even see the cops fill their Crown Vic Interceptors while the engine is still running. I don't think those cars are ever off, though.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I shutdown the engine but leave the car on :). This is when EV button comes in handy.

17. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Oct 9 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]523290[/snapback]</div>
    I would have thought that buying a Prius for its fuel economy and reduced emissions capabilities is negated by having your ICE running (or potentially able to run) while refuelling.

REAL reasons to shut down the car before fuelling:
    1. Prevent accidentally moving the car
    2. Prevent starting up the ICE - why pump COx and NOx in the air for no reason?
    3. Shut down the HV supply - fuel vapor and HV mix spectacularly well

And by the way, it only takes 1 push of a button to shut down the car - where is the advantage of not doing it?

18. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Day1: Mom pulls into gas station, puts car in park, sets parking break, turns off car. Refuels car.

Day2: Mom pulls into station, puts car in park, turns off car. Refuels.

Day3: Mom pulls into station, puts car in park. Refuels.

Day4: Mom pulls into station, puts car in park. Starts Refueling. Kids horsing around put car in drive. Great damage results.

Day5: Mom pulls into station, puts car into park, puts on parking brake, turns off car, gets kids out of car, puts wheel chalks on wheels. Refuels.

Where are you in this cycle?

19. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All modern vehicles have sealed fuel systems. If the engine starts while you are refueling the fuel management computer just might throw out a trouble code and require you to, at the very least, turn the system off and disconnect the 12 V. battery to reset.

I've seen this happen on several cars where refueling is done while the engine is running. There is definitely a time factor on running an engine with an unpressurized fuel system.

To repeat what was previously mentioned. What's the big deal about turning the car off?

20. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great topic, Pinto Girl. I had never considered not hitting the power button when fueling. I've been turning off the car when refueling ever since I started driving in 1969, just like I've been wearing seat belts ever since. Its hard to break a lifelong habit. Its so easy turning off and on a Prius with one big button and no key, I can't fathom why this would even be a topic for discussion, unless Prius owners are those that like to do things differently (which is why they bought a hybrid). Just turn it off.