1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No need to power off while refueling...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 8, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Oct 30 2007, 05:28 AM) [snapback]532369[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to pretend I didn't just read that. :(

2. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 8 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]522922[/snapback]</div>
    Illegal in CA? Oops. I never turn my car off, but then I figure who will really know it's on anyways.
    This whole dilemma almost sounds like when the gas stations warned that cell phones had the potential to cause pump fires. Biggest load of BS ever.

Paul

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Oct 8 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]522909[/snapback]</div>
    true. my parents has the same feature. they put in an extra pump. when you pull the fuel door lever, it vacuums that chamber. it's not stupid.. neat little feature.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 8 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]522922[/snapback]</div>
    you're right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 8 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]522980[/snapback]</div>
    no problems, due to it's little refuel system. i'm not sure where to find the info anymore. some of it is in the owners manual (i think)

someone else mentioned fuel guage... the prius only resets it's guage with.. 2.5 or 3.0 gallons of fuel or more. car on, or off.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And what I don't understand is people saying they leave the car running while refueling because the passengers would get too cold with the engine off (or too hot with the a/c off - open the window, already). Please - they are going to freeze or self-combust in the time it takes to refuel a Prius? (I suppose it could happen in the time it takes to refuel an SUV, maybe. . . :p )

Turn the flippin' thing of when you refuel, please. Take the mileage hit when the ICE starts up again. Do it for everyone within a block of you that would prefer not to witness you & your car EXPLODING.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So, as far as why people do not turn their car off, there seem to be a couple reasons;

1. so people in the car remain warm or cool. This is absolutely rediculous, since it is illegal to keep the car running anyway. Millions of people with non-hybrid cars turn their vehicles off with passengers in the car and they do just fine.

2. I think it is mostly just laziness. Same thing as people that leave their car running when they go into a convenience store. Whats up with that anyway? Yes, it does take a second for the computers to reboot when reentering the car, but it just about equals the time it takes me to put on my seat belt.

Clearly there is no "danger" when leaving a prius on, just like there is no "danger" in leaving a regular car running when refueling. I think the only danger is in the risk of your passenger accidentally putting the car in drive, causing the fuel pump nozzle to rip off the pump. I suspect that is probably the original reason for making it illegal to refuel your car with the engine running.

The only risk of explosion is from static electricity. (which clearly is not a myth). That is probably why they dont want you to reenter your vehicle. You could rub your feet on the carpet a few times then go touch the fuel nozzle and create and explosion. The highest concentration of fumes is probably near the nozzle. However, I have a strong suspicion that those explosions happened on nozzles that had faulty or non-existant vapor recovery systems.

In short, there is no good reason to leave the car on when refueling. IMHO.