1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No need to remove full engine under panel for transaxle service.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 12, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In 2014, I replaced the fluid in my transaxle at 13.5 k miles, I removed the full under engine underlanel to perform the service. I had installed my custom magnetic dran plug, because the Gen 3 Prius eliminated it from the transaxle.

I discovered a cutout right under the drain plug shown in this photo.

transaxle drain access.png

Both the drain and fill plugs are accessable with th oil change door lowered. They are easily removed from the side with a 10mm hex socket bit on a 12 inch extension with a 3/8 inch drive flex ratchet.

I did swap out a new magnetic drain plug foa another. About 3-4 ounces went in the drain pan during the swap.
    The sample of the fluid to be like new and a deep red at 27.4 k miles.

I used a FloTool 10111/6 Mixmizer Injector refill the 3-4 ounces after filtering it with a spray paint filter.

The magnet, however was loaded with black steel particles.

So, I decided not to change the fluid. But, it was really good to know that the magnet was a good addition and that my fluid is still good for another 50k miles or so.

I hope my finding that complete removal of the engine undercover is not necessary will help others, here.

#1 Georgina Rudkus, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022