1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No oil, but no sign of leak after car sat for two weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dylanjcole, Apr 23, 2024.

1. dylanjcole

dylanjcole New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I left my Gen 2 Prius in a parking garage for two weeks. When I returned and started it up, I thought I heard the engine start shuddering and making a strange noise. I'm not sure whether it was really doing something odd or if I was just imagining it.

I turned it off immediately after about 1 second of the engine running, and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. No oil stains on the concrete under the car. It's been a out 3000 miles since the last oil change.

At some point in the past the car was driven low on oil to the point it was not showing up on the dipstick any more, and then a little further. I have needed to add a quart of oil to it every once in a while.

Thanks for any help / thoughts. I'm leaving it where it is for now and going to pick up some oil for it tomorrow. I guess I'm a little unsure because it feels like I just had an oil change, but I am on a road trip and it has in fact been about 3000 miles already.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The missing oil isn't on the concrete under your car because it escaped past the rings and through your tail-pipe.
    This is because your car is old enough to vote (and probably twice as intelligent as most of those who DO) has been marginally cared for, and has a criminally small oil sump.

HOWEVER (comma!!!!)
    Your car is still running, and it probably gets better fuel economy than most of the other ones in the PN-dubbs which is fortunate since you live on the wrong side of the Snoqualmie Pass, where gasoline is "probably" more expensive than it is on free soil.

Me recommendations:
    Buy a pencil and the next time you get gas, save the receipt - if they still allow you guys up there to have paper receipts.
    Use the paper and the pencil to start writing stuff down.
    You need to start KNOWING some things instead of using your 'feels.'
    You need to KNOW to the nearest hundred miles when you last changed your oil.
    You need to start checking your oil level every 500 miles or so (every other fill-up) and keep a bottle on your car - under the hood.
    You need to KNOW how much oil you are using to the nearest half quart every 5,000 miles and you need to plan on maybe doing regular oil changes every 5,000 miles instead of every 10,000 miles - or whenever 'you feel like you did.'
    If you do not know to the nearest 5,000 when you replaced your engine air filter - you may want to consider watching a Youtube video and knocking that out as well.

The good news is that IIRC they do not do vehicle emissions testing in WA.
    That means that your oil fouled catalytic converter finally gives up the ghost you can replace it with a $200 aftermarket unit. The other GREAT news is that if you're burning enough oil to use your car for mosquito control they're not going to yank your plates for failing a smog test.

You didn't mention how many miles are on your car, but you also didn't say what color it is - so there's that.
    The G2 is a darned good car. Adult driven in the PNW it should be knocking down about 45mpg, and even marginally maintained it will keep doing that for 250,000 miles.

Assess where you are in that life cycle and what your needs are.
    I'm guessing that there's a lot of life left in it.

Read.
    Develop a maintenance plan - even if it's hiring an independent mechanic to oversee your maintenance.
    USE YOUR PENCIL some time and 4th grade math to see how efficiently your car is performing!

good luck!

#2 ETC(SS), Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    2005prius likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's not unusual for a high mileage car to run a bit "off" if it's been sitting for weeks.

If your car uses a fair bit of oil, then you should set a reminder on your phone calendar to check the level every 2 weeks. Once you have done enough checks to see how much it uses, then maybe check once a month, or whatever is needed.

I (carefully) store a couple quarts of oil in my Gen 2 so I can top up whenever.

Also check coolant levels (in the radiator - when cold), water pump belt, tire pressures, etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting to see how much it takes. the oil change place may have forgotten to add oil, or a loose drain plug might have caused the oil to drain out over the 3,000 miles

5. dylanjcole

dylanjcole New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - it took about two quarts to get to 2/3 of the way above the minimum line on the dipstick.

bisco likes this.
  6. dylanjcole

dylanjcole New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I appreciate this fun and informative reply. Thank you!

7. dylanjcole

dylanjcole New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the help!