1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Option to manually release parking pawl????!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Oldmanriver, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Oldmanriver

Oldmanriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2010 with the engine out and I am looking for a work around to disengage Park. I understand I can use a tow dolly, but my goal for now is to get the can into Neutral to be put on a trailer I already have rather than renting a U-Haul dolly. Hopefully someone has a solution to this issue.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t think so, and yeah it’s a sand-pounder.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you check the steering wheel while the car is off, you'll notice it does not have the traditional steering lock. Gen 1 Prius did, but from Gen 2 on, the Prius meets the requirement of a drive-away theft-resistant feature through the difficult-to-hotwire parking lock. Inconvenient for some purposes, but it is what it is.

If you can get the car to IG-ON with the engine out (I'm just imagining how many codes that'll set!), and you haven't undone the wiring to the tranny, you might be able to shift into N. Naturally, when you turn the power off again it will re-park, but not if you have pulled the P CON MTR fuse first. ;)

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  4. Oldmanriver

Oldmanriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I tried that this AM (no luck), thought about removing the axles but quickly dismissed the thought, only if I knew about the P CON MTR fuse in advance! Its always gotta be something! Plan > raise front of the car > back trailer under front of car > lower onto wheel dollies > place ramps > winch into place >>>>>>>> or just rent the car dolly!

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oil slick in front of the wheels and just pull it?

6. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rent the dolly. In the long run, you'll be safer (in terms of doing any mischief) and happier. Then the only tricky thing is actually GETTING it onto the dolly...