1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Percent Charge Option, Right?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, May 31, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some BEVs have that option, but it comes with the warning on repeated use shortening the battery's life. A PHEV isn't going to allow it because of the emission warranty.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We're talking about having a larger buffer increased longevity, not making it smaller for increased range.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the confusion was with an option on the Leaf to limit the charge to (I think) 80%. But Nissan had to take that option into account when computing the range, and this lowered the number, so in later models, they eliminated that option, so they could base the range only on 100% charging (long term damage to battery notwithstanding), getting a larger number for the range. :rolleyes:

This info is a couple of years old, so my apologies if it is out of date for the current Leaf model.

4. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is simple workaround to achieve your goal:

use scheduled charging with the departure time set up suitably later than your actual departure>

What I have learned the Prime Scheduled charging works to complete charging 'around' the set up departure time depending on actual baterry level.

So in your case to have 21 miles charge on departure simply set up scheduled departure to 35-45 min later ( a "delay") than your actual departure (depending what is your average full charge e/v range). On departure just unplug the car and see what is your range.

I believe after a week of trying different "delays" you will be pretty close to your goal.

just my 5 cents.

Kris

Prius from Dad likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're a type A personality?

Bob 'retired' Wilson

6. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    type "A"???
    I have no clue :(
    Just try to contribute to the forum since I gained a lot of knowledge from here.

cheers

Kris

Tips, Prius from Dad and bwilson4web like this.
  7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Uhmmm... No.

Main thing is that my drive to work is (almost) always a fixed distance after which I charge it up again. To take that trip to work, I can (effectively) always count on being able charging it less than full.

That higher charging margin has potential to improve battery life, and lets me charge more at the lower-cost charger at work.

iPhone ? Pro

#27 mr88cet, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably the simplest way for me to accomplish this would be to set my morning charge (at home) to complete ... 20 minutes, perhaps ... later than when I actually expect to leave, and cut the charge short.

Tips likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The finish timer is really conservative. I'd say it finishes 20-30 minutes before the time I specify. That's why I recommend 1 hour past.

Tips, Prius from Dad and mr88cet like this.
  10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Now that you mention it, I've noticed that too. Good thought!

iPhone ? Pro

phlack likes this.
  11. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As technologically "challenged" as I am, that's what first came to my mind. If planning to leave at, say, 8:15, just tell the car you want it to reach full SOC by about 8:45 if on a Level 2 EVSE (J1772 connector), or by about 9:15 if using a standard 110V outlet....

12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looking at the notifications from charging the past couple days (which had to charge very different amounts), they ended at, essentially, 8:30 plus or minus 5 minutes. That, for a programmed 9:00 departure.

So, perhaps 50ish minutes late would be a good starting point.

iPhone ? Pro

Prius from Dad likes this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then use the same trick I use for this. Set the timer for later than when you actually want to leave. For example, I leave for work between 6 and 6:10 but I set the timer for 6:45, which usually gives me about 85-95% of a full charge.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  14. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That seems to be the going approach!

iPhone ? Pro

Son of Gloin likes this.
  15. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And if you are truly anal, of which I am too, keep in mind the last 30 minutes or so charges slower than at the beginning. Meaning you charge at roughly 12 amps? up to the last half hour where it slows considerably. If you are targeting 80% useable capacity, account for the fact that charge rate is not linear at the end.

mr88cet likes this.
  16. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see now that there is a ... complication ... to this approach of setting your departure time an hour or so later, to approximate the effect of a %charge: At what time it begins charging depends upon the level of charge left in the battery from the previous evening.

So, for example, suppose the goal is to leave at 9AM with 21 miles of charge (30 being a full charge), and therefore set it to be fully charged 1:15 later (10:15AM). If it's fully empty from the previous evening's driving, it'll probably start charging at around 8:00ish, and probably would be around 21ish miles at 9:00, so that's fine. However, if it has 12 miles of charge left from the previous evening, it probably won't even start charging until after the 9:00 departure goal.

Since my wife and I, often but not always in the evenings, go out to the local mall, plug into the all-but-free charger there, and go take a walk/shop, the amount of charge likely left in the battery at the end of the day tends to vary a lot.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's your problem.

If you really only want a 70% state of charge, you need to have it end about 2 hours after your expected departure, if you are on L1, and

This seems to indicate you are on L2, but it will take about 1:20-1:30 to get from 0 to 21 miles at 240V and 16A.

Not if you set it right. The problem is accounting for the taper charge. The charge rate is not linear if you include the end.

18. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure this is completely true, for the most part the charge window from any point is the same. So if you have 25% charge remaining when it reaches 50% charge the amount of time to go from 50 to 100% is the same as if you started at 50% charge. There is some variance caused by the warmup period to get the battery into the optimal charge temperature but otherwise it should be about the same. So sure there will be slight variances, but if you allow for a window of 80% to 85% you should be fine, that extra 5% isn't going to buy you a coffee or anything but would be enough buffer.

mr88cet likes this.
  19. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At some point you're going to wonder how much anguish and complication are you going to take for $50 a year? :ROFLMAO: I'll be honest. I did the mental calculations for two years, then I said not worth it, just gonna plug it in. :p

20. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I understand what you're saying, but I've clearly seen what I'm describing: I had it set to 10:15, which was about right to get it up to 21ish miles at 9:00 from 0 miles the evening before. However, when I had 12ish-mile charge on the battery, it didn't even *begin* charging before the intended 9:00 departure time, or as I recall in one case, it got 5-10 minutes of charging time (not enough).

iPhone ? Pro