1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Percent Charge Option, Right?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, May 31, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charge time estimates vary from reality, by quite a bit at times.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah... Quite a few variables involved.

iPhone ? Pro

3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree, my charge ups are mostly from 0 miles left. I've seen it finish up to 40 minutes before departure time all the way to 2 minutes before.

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, as an update: I've continued to do this -- setting the departure time an hour or so late, for our level-2 charger -- for several more weeks.

All in all, it usually does work pretty well. Those one or two times it had barely started charging probably were comparative flukes, possibly from being almost but not quite sufficiently charged to start with (I can't immediately recall the circumstances those particular times).

iPhone ? Pro

mmmodem likes this.
  5. Henrik Helmers

Henrik Helmers Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience the biggest contributor to capacity loss is having the battery sit at 100% for extended periods of time, not the charging itself. This is why newer iPhones try to predict when you will pick them up from a charger and then time its charge from ~80% to 100% at just that time.

If you are already using a schedule to charge the car, I think you are doing your part.

6. phlack

phlack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Similar to me. I leave at about the same time every day, so I set the charge accordingly. But it's finishing up early. As of now, I'm setting it to finish about an hour later than I'll leave and it's still finishing.

The good part, I suppose, is it isn't "100%" for very long. And since I don't go very far to work, I really don't have to plug it in every day anyway.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time (My honda Civic is 15 years old, and now my daughter is using it), so I'm hoping to keep this Prime for at least 10 years. I really don't want to have to deal with a battery replacement if I don't have to!