1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no power, low batter on mfd, red triangle light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cleveland2382, Jun 25, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Completely normal. Referring to your original post you did shopping around town and then hit the highway with the battery in purple. You used all the hybrid battery poking around town probably becasue the battery charge was low to begin with. All it takes is one drive through restaurant wait with the AC on max and the radio on on a hot day. Happens to my car all the time. Then I limp away for a mile and charge the battery back up.

The deciding factor is from one purple bar you should be able to drive about a mile non stop doing 30-40 taking it easy for it to charge back up to 2 blue bars. If your at one purple and you hop on the highway and try to punch it to 65-70 you will have one very unhappy car. The ICE will be providing all the power with little left over to charge the Hybrid battery. With the battery in purple you will have really low power. And when your at one purple take it easy till it charges back up because it is really hard on the Inverter and CVT to demand power (spped) and there's no battery power to be provided. Thats the worst thing you can do to this car. That makes the ICE do all the work and little power left over to charge the battery.and and if you listen in this scenario will hear the Inverter screaming. Your basicly beating the crap out of the electronics doing this. To put it plainly.

Its all about the State Of Charge (SOC) of the Hybrid how hard you should push the car. In purple back off and charge up.

cleveland2382 likes this.
  2. cleveland2382

cleveland2382 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info.

3. cleveland2382

cleveland2382 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So took it to toyota. 5 hours later they said it was the Mass air flow sensor. They also said I should do a TB clean up, which I did myself. It was gonna cost me 99 for the diagnostic check anyhow so I just had them put in the sensor instead of limping out of there and getting one myself to put in at the local parts store.

They said it was really hard to find the problem, since no check engine lights were on etc. They said everything else checked out fine, so that is a relief that my hybrid battery was not effed up. So other than the 300 repair charge all is well. I am keeping a close eye on the mdf to watch the battery status, weird because I never did before this issue.

Thanks of all the help peeps.