1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Power or Dash Lights on 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dcwenger, Jan 28, 2023.

1. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just bought a 2005 Prius yesterday. It has 340,000 miles on it, but it was clean and it was a really good deal ($1200). Tried to get it to start, but there were not dash lights and the lights only come on for a second. There is power to the radio and all accessories, but the windows will only go up or down with each click of the power button, so it takes several clicks to inch them up to the closed position. I tried to jump it with no success. The 12v battery did appear weak, so I swapped it out with the brand new one from my 2007. Still no luck. The kid who sold it to me said it has been sitting for 4 months, but said he just drove it around last week. He also said the hybrid battery was replaced at 300,000 miles, so I don't believe that is the issue (I hope). Anyway, I spent all day yesterday and today working on it and am completely stumped. I talked to an independent Toyota mechanic who said he had never heard anything like that, but said he thought it could be the combination meter. I don't think so. I then asked someone at the dealer who said the fact that it has been sitting so long could have cause a problem with the hybrid battery and it is possible that may need a jump. Not sure how I would do that. It is sitting in a parking lot in an industrial area, so it can't sit there too long. I checked all connections and fuses and don't see any issues, but there could be something I'm not seeing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you check if the catalytic converter was there? If it was stolen, you might have a fuse that's blown. Check if the EFI fuse is blown, this is located in the engine compartment, next to where the jump start terminal is located.

Although $1200 may sound like a good deal, but normally $1200 would only buy you a parts car that's got many issues on it. There really aren't many good deals out there anymore, most will require lots of work and money to get them running properly again. Reading the car's stored codes may also point you to the problem.

3. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Actually, I didn't check for the cat. Not sure why I didn't, as I'm always worried about that when on road trips in the '07 and the '13. Even without a cat, I would think the dash would at least turn on. I'll check the fuse tomorrow. Luckily I have a cat in my garage, so I can deal with that if that's the issue.

4. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Will a regular OBD II scanner read the codes if it won't go into the "Ready" mode?

5. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm willing to put some money into it if it's worth it. If anyone here knows of a good Prius mechanic near Temecula, CA, please let me know. It seems like most shops claim they specialize in these cars, but I'm not sure who to trust. I know there is a shop in Riverside and one in Escondido. Both are about equidistant from where the car is. I might have it towed to one of them if I can't figure it out, but would prefer someplace closer if possible.

6. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: I did check and the cat is there. Checked the15A AM2 fuse and found it was blown. Replaced it with the spare and everything worked. All dash lights came on and car started, but I immediately saw smoke and smelled electrical wires burning. Other online posts suggest this issue could be caused by a faulty inverter pump. Does this sound right? I will get that knocked out tomorrow and then post updates.

#6 dcwenger, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    measure the 12v at the front jump point to make sure all connections are good.

i wouldn't worry about the hybrid battery yet. if you get to that point, it will need a grid charger

SFO likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the AM2 fuse is caused by an inverter pump failure. You can disconnect the pump and replace the fuse and see if the car will run. See image for where to disconnect the inverter pump

upload_2023-1-29_20-44-26.jpeg

With the pump disconnected, you can safely run the car in cooler weather. I've had a pump failure and ran my car for over 30 minutes in cool weather without any damage.

9. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you. I will try that.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes. "On" mode is sufficient for reading codes (two button pushes, no foot on brake).

Now, if it won't even go to On mode (which can be the case if an inverter cooling pump is eating the AM2 fuse), that can be another story.

11. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just had the car towed to my house, so I can work on it here. I told the seller I was able to get it to start and that it was the AM2 fuse, which indicates an inverter pump. He said he already replaced the pump, so to try the fuse first to see what happens. The problem is, there is still the electrical smell coming from that area and the red triangle is still on. I may have to get a decent OBD II scanner to see what it is telling me.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can look in the reservoir for fluid movement. a lot of people using aftermarket pumps have had trouble

13. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep. No movement at all. Put my hand on the pump and felt nothing. Then turned my 2007 on and felt the pump, so I know this one is bad. I think the electrical smell is a short within the pump itself because I could smell it while it was in my hand. I left the car in accessory mode while I was removing the pump and the battery was almost dead after about 30 minutes. I don't think it's supposed to go down that fast, so something else must be draining the 12V. Could it be that the short in the pump was drawing current from the 12V and draining it?

#13 dcwenger, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or your 12 V battery is now shot. Have you tried charging the 12 V battery seeing as you ran it down?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only until the fuse blows, but the inverter should be supplying the juice, not the battery.
    The battery is only needed until the car is ready

16. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well, I changed the pump and it's working, but now all the light's on the dash are on and I immediately get the annoying beep with the display that says "problem". I didn't add more fluid or bleed the system, as I wanted to see if the codes would clear first. I guess I'm going to have to get a code reader to figure out what else may be wrong with it. I have seen all kinds o posts for different recommendations and am still confused on what scanner to buy. Some recommend Mini VCI while others recommend VXDIAG and not sure which one to get. I need something simple that will also read the codes correctly. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#16 dcwenger, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream is the gold standard,but some have trouble getting it up and running.
    i've read the vx is pretty good.
    simple phone apps like hybrid asst and dr. prius are helpful, but don't read all codes

prius-obdii-third-party-apps.106

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. dcwenger

dcwenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now I'm even more confused. Way too much information regarding the apps and way too technical for me. I just need a decent tool to plug in so I can read the codes.

bisco likes this.
  20. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, lots of info. Each of those scantools have some differences from each other.

I would get the Autel AP200. It can scan the entire car for codes (including any INF or detail sub-codes) & data from all ecu's. Plus it can perform some service functions (like bleeding the ABS system).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.