1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No ready light, no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Keeley, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately they are all good as well. I believe we're going to go ahead and see about towing it to the dealership.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep us posted on what they find.

3. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have three Toyota dealerships around us and no one has availability until Monday. We're considering taking it to a mechanic shop close by but they don't specialize in hybrids. Any idea of their code reader would be able to get us anywhere? We're hoping not to have to wait until Monday.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably better to wait and get it to the dealer. I don't see this as a simple problem.

You should prepare yourself for some outrageous repair quote, that'll scare you into buying a new Toyota instead of fixing it

Best scenario a bad brake light switch.

Worst scenario, you'll need a new inverter (not likely)

Keeley likes this.
  5. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After $147.00 and 6 hours at the dealership, computer came back with high voltage codes and they needed an extra 2 hours of labor time for a guaranteed diagnosis even if it takes longer than the two hours which brings the diagnostic total to $487.00. They gave us a loaner mini van and said they'll call tomorrow

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suspected you might have had a high voltage code, but after you reset your car (disconnecting the 12v), it should have allowed you to start your car 1 time. But since you couldn't start the car even 1 time, there is no way of guessing it was a high voltage code.

The real bad news is:

After the $487.00 diagnosis, you'll be given the following options

1. High voltage leak in battery (if your car is under 8 years old and under 80,000 miles, this would be under warranty) or else they'll tell you the repair cost is $4000 for a new battery. We have members from Texas that sell new batteries at around $2500 so that will be a better option.

2. High voltage leak in Transaxle - This will also cost you $4000 for a new transaxle at the dealer (I would go with a used one from a private mechanic)

3. High voltage leak in AC system - This will be your least expensive but still be over $1000 to repair.

So it's not looking good. Your options are all going to scare you into buying a new car.

SFO and Keeley like this.
  7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my 08 had the HV leak code, found 1 leaking module in the pack, 2 hours and 25 buck later it was fixed, 16 months later still going strong.. sucks the diog fee is so much

SFO, bisco and Keeley like this.
  8. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership finally called yesterday and said we needed to replace the hv battery. We went to pick it up to tow home this morning and it started right up and drove perfectly 18 miles home.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was this a warranty repair since your car is from 2009?

You can contact Toyota corporate and ask for assistance to replace it. They may cover it

I'm not sure this diagnosis is correct, because your car failed to start after a battery reset

#29 JC91006, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  10. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased the car from a used car dealership without any warranty. The Toyota dealership didn't do any repairs to it, only the diagnosis. They had no explanation as to how it was running and the report they gave us of the diagnosis provided very little information. They don't even have the exact code numbers listed. I've started it twice more and no warning lights come on, ready light is present and car shows the hv battery charging? I don't really trust it but we don't know what to try to fix if it isn't broke

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there was a high voltage leak in the system, you would only be allowed to start the car one time before it disables itself for safety reasons.

They didn't replace any fuses? You should ask them for the diagnostic codes, you did pay $450+ for them

SFO and Keeley like this.
  12. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went back through the paper work and did find a few codes

Attached Files:

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The codes point to a ground fault in the hv battery. But those codes could be pulled in 5 minutes. P0AA6, 526, 612

What did they do for the additional diagnostic?

How many miles are on your car? I suggest you reach out to Toyota corporate and ask them to give you a good will warranty for a replacement battery. See how much they can provide in assistance. They may cover the entire repair, you just have to call and ask.

14. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    138000 miles
    Our entire experience was awful, we never could get ahold of anyone and didn't get called back after leaving voicemails and sending emails. Our service advisor never had an answer to any of our questions and I don't see anything else that was done. The time stamp on that report is prior to them telling us additional testing was needed as well. We reached out to the service director and haven't recieved a reply. A lot of questions still need to be answered, I will be trying to reach more people tomorrow.
    Your input has truly been invaluable, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and knowledge!

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car was in California, you would've gotten a new battery under warranty. But since you're in Texas, the warranty expired when you got to 8 years or 100k miles.

But this does not mean Toyota won't assist you in getting this car repaired. You just have to call them on Monday and make this request. They can also assist you in communicating with the dealership to explain the diagnostics or lack of diagnostics

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Keeley

Keeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't get any other information on the diagnosis but they do have a payment plan option available for the repairs.
    My car ran the best it ever has all week long. Then, on the way to drop my son off at school this morning, red triangle vsc and ((!)) all came back on and wouldn't restart after turning it off. Same exact situation as before the dealership visit.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you call Toyota corporate for assistance?

If you insist on paying for this repair, contact Matt at Texas hybrid batteries, he's a member here and can get you a new battery for about $2500

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it bolts to the body. Wait a few minutes, then reconnect the cable. See if the car will become READY.

If it does, you can drive the car once. When you turn off the car, you may have to repeat that process to get the car to become READY again.

That might be a reasonable workaround while you decide what to do with the repair.

19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. lukesemperfi

lukesemperfi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello everyone:

I have a similar problem to this thread. I have not checked all the suggestions but I wanted to add more details to my problem and get advice. Last night I was driving home on the freeway while it was raining. The day before I filled my fuel tank with only 3 gallons of gas (too much to explain why, mostly not in a good neighborhood, I'm a female was scared to stay at the gas station). After I filled it, the gas miles to empty remained at zero. No problem, this happens sometimes. Somehow it resets itself. I kept in mind the approximate the number of miles I had to zero until I needed to re-fill. I'm pretty sure I had about 15 miles to empty when the car sounded like it ran out of gas but I wasn't sure. All the lights came on the dashboard including hybrid malfunction I pulled over. It was hesitating but I made it to the shoulder. I put the car in park and called AAA. I was on the phone for a good ten minutes. The whole time and unknowingly I was pressing really hard on the brakes because I was really scared and panicking. After I hung up I realized I was pressing the brakes even though the car was in park. I released the brakes and turned off the car. AAA came gave me gas. The car did not start. All the lights still on and car will only go into neutral and park. AAA said it's the battery. They jumped it. No go. AAA told me to press the brakes really hard then turn the car on. Still no go. I had it towed to my house. This morning, I tried the car again, this time only the brake related lights are on and the oil light. See photo. The car will not go into ready. When I press power, the car makes its usually sounds and normal beeps but the motor does not turn on. Can someone give me some advice? I'm going to check the fuses as suggested in this thread right now and I'll be back.

Attached Files: