1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No ready light, won’t start.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Monkeywrench, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Monkeywrench

Monkeywrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Please help. My daughter was driving home and her 2007 Prius just died she said. It coasted into a gas station and is stuck in neutral now. I tested the 12v battery and it was bad so I replaced it. It still won’t start, no ready light. I reset it by unplugging the thing that connects to the top of the battery still nothing. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and under the dash and they are all good. I did check voltage up front and showed 12.6 just as the battery did in the back. Right before it quit it had two codes pulled one had something to do with the tps and the other the camshaft sensor. I can’t find the exact codes at the moment and they weren’t pulled with a hybrid specific code reader either. She says it was running fine. Lights work, hazards work but only thing that lights up on the dash are the door and key lights. Any dynamite or ideas as to bringing her back to life would be appreciated?

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So when you try to start up the car and you hear the engine start up, how long before the engine fails to start?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and under the dash and they are all good. I've heard the same thing several times, please check it the AM2 fuse again.

Any dynamite or ideas as to bringing her back to life?

Yes.
    You most likely had an inverter cooling water pump failure that popped the AM2 fuse. Those are the exact symptoms of what happens when that fuse blows while driving.

If you look at the underhood fuse box, the AM2 fuse is on the driver side, second 15 A fuse from the top. If you look just above the fuse box, toward the passenger side, you should see a one wire connector. Disconnect the two halves of the plug from each other, that will kill power to the ICWP, allowing you to replace the fuse and have it not blow. Replace the fuse and drive the car home. Try to keep it under ~45 mph. I've driven a car 40 miles like this previously, and there are other members who have done similar.

The ICWP is located behind the driver headlight and can be purchased online for ~$60 and replaced DIY in about 1.5 hours for someone with little experience. $500 at a dealer.

AM2 Fuse.JPG Connector.JPG

Inverter Pump.JPG

Fern1461, strawbrad and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Monkeywrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanx for the help. Yeah I figured that out already. I thought those were extra fuses off over there to the side. Now I’ve progressed to orange ready light and only one line for the hv battery I am still thinking a stick of dynamite would be easier.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

6. Monkeywrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    205373 miles

7. Monkeywrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It’s been sitting a couple of months. In vehicle signal check mode with power on she drops to12.3 V

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    can you provide details of anything you've done to the car? Have you manipulated any other items, components, systems, batteries, etc?

If you press the power button one time with your foot off the brake, the led on the power button should be green and the MFD should turn on. Press the button again (with foot off brake) and the power button turns orange and the dash turns on completely, but will be in IG-On condition instead of READY. Press the power button one more time and the car shuts down.

If you press the power button one time with your foot on the brake, the power button led will be orange for a second or two as the car boots up and goes to READY condition, and then goes dark.

What is happening with yours?

This is confusing: orange ready light

#8 TMR-JWAP, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. Monkeywrench

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No manipulations to the car. When I got in the car, pressed on the brake and pushed the button all I got was orange ready light. Never changed and never started. I reset it again and she started up. Thanx for all the help. You guys are awesome

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 200k, i'd probably kick it down the road

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you're like those guy who's got a house full of half finished beer cans sitting around because you'd rather crack open a brand new one rathern than finish the slighty old one you already got! Didn't your mom ever tell you, no dessert until you finish your beer? :)

Monkeywrench likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how'd you know?:oops:

Monkeywrench likes this.