1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No "Ready" state since engine bay cleaning with damp cloth

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Usman Riaz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Usman Riaz

Usman Riaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    My car in not going into "Ready" state since I got it detailed. The guys removed all seats, cleaned everything, and used damp water cloth on engine bay. Now, There are lots of error appearing when I press start button (image attached). I dried the engine bay with a fan, but it didn't help.

I am not sure if this is related to cleaning I had done, or is related to something else. Happened first time since I purchased this car. I replaced the 12V battery around 2.5 yrs ago and drove 50K kms on it. Could this be related to battery, but there are lots of error appearing on screen and I can't figure out what's going on.
    20190422_145021.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As soon as the diagnostic codes have been read, there is a good chance it will be straightforward to find the problem.

3. iceman13

iceman13 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I use a damp microfiber towel to clean my engine bay every time I wash my car without problems, either they did something else more invasive or you have some bad electrical insulation that they went over it with the wet cloth causing a short. I would try first disconnecting the 12v battery then reconnect it making sure the terminals are completely clean.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guessing before reading the codes can end up prolonging the time to find the solution.

5. Usman Riaz

Usman Riaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for being naive, but is it normal to have errors on dashboard screen like "Check engine", "ABS", "Traction control" etc when only 12v battery is culprit?

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Mine did this when my 12v was super dead. I waited 30 mins with it on the trickle charge and it started right up.

fotomoto likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did somebody leave the doors open a long time during cleaning? that can deplete the 12v battery, and then the computer is very confused/fails to boot correctly the next time you try to switch to ready.

Troubleshoot the 12v battery. Might need a charge, might be time to replace it.

Next time you have the car detailed, make certain you switch off the interior lighting or disconnect the battery during the session so the battery doesn't run down.

Raytheeagle and fotomoto like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    +1

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's exactly what happened to me. :( I left my rear hatch open while I was wiring in my rear tail light strip... That battery lasted a good 6 hours with the hatch open though. :D

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's been a few reports like this, and I think the most likely cause was water spray around the dash, shorting out electronics. This could be cleaners, or window tint installers. Couple this with the doors hanging open for hours, with no maintainer on the 12 volt battery. More of a long shot but also possible is spray in the engine bay.