1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Smart Key! How to Move/Load??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it enough to just replace the Smartkey ECU with matching fobs? I remember something about having to register the ECU with other ECUs - in other words a Techstream task.

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get a "matched set" from a wreck and replace the appropriate bits it will work. It's been a while but IIRC there are two small modules under the dashtop and one ECU behind the glovebox that must be swapped. No Techstream is required if you do it this way.

3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went back last week and search the car again. No luck but will be taking out the seats and some of the interior and carpeting when I begin the major body work in the left side. If the Father has the Fob, he would come forward with it since I'm with holding $500 from the sale price until I get the title and SmartKey issue resolved.
    I contacted the l9cal small town dealer today and they said they could reprogram the system and new FOB for about $350+/-. The labor is $87/hr and the new, dealer provided FOB and key would be $250, so it sounds like about and hour job.
    I ask about programing a previously used FOB and they said it could be done but sometimes it is "touchy/ifie". They would be alright with me providing a "virgin" FOB and key that I find on ebay. I did a quick check and there are "never previously programed" for about $150. so the dealer has about $100 markup.