1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Solar Roof Option in 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iRun26.2, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Worth it imo, F8L. Granted, that's a lot of weight on the roof (i.e. higher CG) but never having to step into a hot car again is a luxury feature to me.

2. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about other manufacturers, but the Prius solar roof has nothing to do with the sun-moon roof. The solar roof is an array of solar panels on the back part of the roof that uses the sun's energy to power a fan that circulates ambient air through the car when parked in a sunny area. The sun-moon roof is an opening on the front part of the roof that can be opened or closed to let in light and or air. One has nothing to do with the other in an operational sense.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just think t's pretty darn expensive. I just use a sun shield from the PriusChat Shop and it's good enough for me. That extra $3k or so is hard to swallow. :D

4. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealers are notorious liars. I was in a showroom last year just looking at the 3rd Gen and a salesman asked if I were interested in one, I told him I'm waiting for the plug in. Salesman says "They're not going to manufacture the plug in because too many people live in apartments and it would be useless."
    Basicly, he just wanted to get one sold off the lot.

5. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I am very much turned off by lies. If my dealer is wrong, and the 2012 Prius does come with the solar roof option (solar powered fans), I will not buy it from him (that is for sure)!

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I want to make sure you understand something I have said since the beginning. Your dealer may be half right/half wrong. The car may continue to come with the solar roof option but not in your region. You may have to drive outside your region to pick one up. He may have confused information he received and is wrong telling people flat out they are discontinuing it for 2012. I'm not defending the dealer, he's still wrong to give information on something for which information has not been given out yet, but I want to make sure you're aware if its not available in your region you may have to look elsewhere for one with what you want.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living in Minnesota with the Solar package, I can tell you that there have been quite a few times I've been thankful the Prius has been trying to keep the heat in check while I'm gone. Then the A/C has less of a burden afterward.

And yes, I've taken advantage of the remote A/C too. But that's not the beauty of the package. It's being able to open up the top.

Though, the slick look of the black glass roof is nice... and actually slick, which helps with that only aspect of Minnesota on the opposite end of the thermometer.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $3k would buy a lot of chocolate ice cream :hungry:

Mike :twitch:

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Which dealer so I can stay away if I do decide to buy a Prii next spring.

Mike

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah and moreso because it's bundled with the nav (so it's a $5k package?). The SR option is a little over Cdn$2k and adds the illuminated door sills to the package.

Yeah I know but that doesn't change the fact that it adds weight (both solar array and glass moonroof over a standard steel roof

mmm chocolate ice cream

1 person likes this.
  11. Lars68

Lars68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the Nissan Maxima used, so .... It's pricey, due to the fact that that you have to get the Nav system with it. I do like having the screen for the Ipod/music interface. My wife will like the Nav, although you can get a stand alone for a few hundred.

12. Lars68

Lars68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ooops. I meant sunroof. I am looking forward to the solar aspect. However, have you heard that the weight affects MPG? I have read that having the sun/moon roof open creates drag, which will lower the MPG that you get. (I know this from my Maxima as well.) But I am curious about the weight difference in the roof. I would think that Toyota would show a different rating for a Prius with a sun roof if it were a big difference.?

13. lovemypriustoo

lovemypriustoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Toyota Prius IV with solar roof package. I have never used the solar roof option though. My car is parked in a commuter parking lot for 10 hrs. a day, and do not want to run a solar fan (or any fan) for all that time. When it was 100 degrees on July 20th, I just turned on the a/c to 67 at lowest fan speed. I got 46.5 mpg (which is awesome!) for my trip of 20 miles. When I got off the highway, I tried to take a pic with my cell phone of the a/c set at 67 and the outside temp had dropped one degree to 99. Here is the pic - sorry for the poor quality - but 46.5 mpg is still awesome!

Attached Files:

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just like the Prius v, I am hoping that the resin panoramic roof will be available on the Prius plug in.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Have you ever considered that keeping the interior much cooler includes the HV battery too? Why would you purchase such an expensive option and never use it? :confused:

16. Lars68

Lars68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the panoramic roof you are referring to the sun/solar roof that is now an option on the Prius III?

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The resin sunroof is a totally different beast. It's actually 2 sun roofs and the cover panel is made of a special resin that blocks heat better than glass and sheet metal roofs. The covers also retract into a thin middle separator. Someone will provide a link for you.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No solar function, just a fixed transparent resin panel that controls heat better than glass or sheet metal.

Video: 2012 Prius v Panoramic Resin Roof | PriusChat

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why wouldn't you use the solar roof if you have it. The fan motor is beefed up compared to the cars without the SR. The only thing you have to be aware of is dust (if the area around your office building is dusty).

Ohh ok (I'm also gonna assume moonroof lol. Most Japanese cars have moonroofs).

For sure but I don't have numbers. The moonroof is reasonably flat on the roof (if you stand to the side and eyeball how the air flows over the roof). The SR option is 30kg (~ 65lbs)

No. It's the one found on the new Prius v.

Not to mention lighter! I'm gonna trust Toyota has dealt with the issues better than MB has on the smart. I loved the panoramic roof on my smart (one piece polycarbonate) but apparently there are owners that have experienced webbing.

20. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not really if you want the sunroof option and came with the nav system and the backup camera (and a screen you can actually see).

Of course I bought mine back in 2010and paid under 25K with rebate and discounts....

And I can drive without using a/c... and fumbling around for the sun shield...