1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Solar Roof Option in 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iRun26.2, Jul 19, 2011.

1. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only place you can't get the solar option is in Buffalo. That because studies have shown that the sun hasn't shined in Buffalo in 19 years. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Lars68

Lars68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey!!! It's been in the upper 80's and 90's for weeks up here! Of course we sometimes get a snow event in October....:smow:
    I'll just call it a snow roof at that point!

3. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use a solar cooling device on my model III, even though Toyota didn't offer the option. It is called a tree (shade). Works better than your solar fan, I'd bet, and far less expensive.

4. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I do understand what you are saying. They were available for 2011 in my area (and I know they've been selling them). If he meant they weren't going to be available in my area any more then he should have said so. That would be deception which isn't any different than a lie.

I wonder if once 2012 information becomes available if I could still order a 2011 model?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There may be a very slim window. Otherwise, when you do 'order' a 2011, you'll be basically choosing from the list of available 2011s enroute or at dealerships in your area.

6. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I originally was going to buy my Prius without the moonroof/solar roof and just have one by Webaso (Solaire roof - had one on my HCHII and loved it). It is cheaper, for sure, but I wanted some other stuff like the nav with bluetooth option and they gave me a $2000 off of sticker to take a blue one they had on the lot with it. (this was in early January). Am I glad I did it this way? I don't know because I don't know how far the Solaire moon roof opens on the Prius and if it is tilt/slide under the roof or over the roof (like the factory moonroof). The factory roof does not open all the way but I don't get the buffeting (or "whomp," "whomp" sound I did with the HCHII).
    the bluetooth on the factory nav is the best I have had in any car.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aftermarket ones usually go over but I have seen the ones installed in the 2nd Gen Prius that go between the headliner and the roof. The factory roof has two stop points - one to minimise buffeting and the other is the maximum opening (I use that 2nd stop if my windows are open to counter the buffeting effect). Moonroofs that open under the roof tend to open wider than those that go over (since part of the roof needs to be on rails).

Bluetooth handsfree is standard on the III. The additional bluetooth option is Bluetooth Audio Streaming.

8. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    the truth is you cant build any toyota on their "build your own" site, it hasn't worked for at least 6 months.

9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I now have pretty solid evidence that my dealer was just wrong. I can still get a solar roof in my 2012 Prius (along with some other new things). :)

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Care to share the "new things"?

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With the refreshed 2012 Prius comes a 3rd and even more scary breed of Prius owners. We're taking over PC and the world. Sorry Tideland.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Judging by the lack of posts of "installing engine-on-light mod" and more springs and taillights, I'd say the plane has already shifted.

13. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I've decided not to share the name of the dealer that misinformed me. I honestly think the dealer wasn't being deceitful, just not very smart about drawing conclusions from the data that was available to him. I'd hate to ruin his career.

I will only order my 2012 Prius from the dealer if he gives me a really good price. They owe me at least much.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    A sun roof won't but the sun will. The sun roof (just like car's windows and windshield) has UV filtration. Yes it's true, in case you didn't know ... your windshield won't give you cancer either.
    ;)

15. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Color changes (new version of the 'blue' color, for example), Entune option with new audio display, 3-door keyless entry standard in the Prius 3, new head lamp/tail lamp with lower grill opening,...

I feel pretty confident in my source. I'm glad I waited! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Well looking at the pic that has popped up of a UK Plug In Prius, the headlamps and taillamps do look different as was suspected and the lower grill opening is different as well. Check out the comparison pics I put up here: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...urt-debut-77-increase-in-mpg.html#post1372015

Interesting if the Prius 3 gets 3 door sks starting with the 2012 models like your source says... That should make alot of people happy and boost sales of the 3 for Toyota.

17. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow... I sure hope the standard (non-plug-in) Prius does not look like that! I think it is ugly...

[Edit: The front view, that is, looks ugly to me.]

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd guess it will look pretty much the same. I mean, maybe things like different rims (that is a UK model), lower end models having halogen headlights etc, but overall it's going to be the same body etc. If its the rims you don't like maybe you'll get lucky lol. I actually like it but the color is definitely not for me and I don't know, but something about the rims... They (the tires) say they are 16's but they just don't look like 16's from the picture.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's funny you said that, because some Gen II owners who dislike the Gen III really like the Prius v as the front end is more similar to the Gen II and you have a 2005.

20. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, i'm one of those Prius's owners! I like how the new Prius's look both inside and out. I've never liked the console that take up space between the seats either and that is another change for the new Prius's that I like a lot. While I know many people on the site like the console, it was one of the major things many people didn't like about the third generation Prius's according to a totoyta article I have read about the designs of the new Prius's.