1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Sound from Front Speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vroomvroom, Nov 16, 2021.

1. vroomvroom

vroomvroom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a pre-owned non-JBL 05.. love the car but unfortunately I'm dumb and didn't realize that none of the front speakers are working until a few days after driving it. When I balance the audio all the way to the front of the car I hear nothing. When balanced in the middle, the back speakers seem to be fine. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm assuming since it's all four front speakers it's a wiring issue but I just have no clue where to start - I would like to try and fix it myself. Eventually, I want to add a stealth head unit but not unless i know i can get those front speakers working. I also have reason to believe my 12v might be low so I'm wondering if replacing that could possibly help idk any thoughts?

2. prius_chatter

prius_chatter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since both front left and front right are out, I'd hypothesize the head unit is bad, but I'm not an expert.

For wiring, you can pull the head unit and check the resistance across each speaker channel at the connector: it should not be less than 1 ohm. Also check for a short to ground on each of the four front speaker leads.

Any DTCs from the head unit? You can check by putting the MFD in its diagnostic mode.

vroomvroom likes this.
  3. vroomvroom

vroomvroom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No DTCs from head unit. But yeah, a faulty head unit seems logical to me. I might go ahead and install an aftermarket stereo this weekend to see if that fixes things - I want proper bluetooth anyways. Thanks for the response!