1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No spare tire? How to handle flat

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by isaksp00, Nov 29, 2018.

1. isaksp00

isaksp00 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow, thanks for all this info. Intend to buy plug repair kit today, and load it with some old pliers I have. I figure it is worth a try if you do get a puncture (as long as you can find it!). Worst case you get towed, which is where you'd be in any case (unless of course the goop that comes with the car would have fixed it and the plug can't). I had to replace a tire pressure sensor that simply died on my (recently totaled, hence the new Prius) Altima Hybrid and I think it was around $200 installed. Not worth using that goop.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    BlackJack makes some nice kits, solid quality, very complete, two sizes of plugs, a spare needle, and a very nice case to hold it all.

padroo likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    strap a donut down in back, if you need more space, put the rear seat backs down

4. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a blowout in my 2012 Plug-In with no spare, no jack, 200 miles from home 9pm at night. I do not carry a spare, although I did have a can of Tire Pressure Monitor safe Fix-A-Flat and the Harbor Freight air compressor, but neither would help with the hole in the sidewall I could put my thumb into, after running straight into a curb while driving in dense fog. I have 4 new tires mounted on a spare set of Prius rims at home and wondered how I could get one wheel to where I was. McGyver to the rescue. I called the Roanoke, VA airport near where I had a flat and found a Toyota Corolla for rent. Had Uber take me to the airport. Found out my first ride with Uber was free. Put the Corolla spare on my Prius, next day contacted 3 people on the Roanoke Craigslist that had 195 65 15 tires for sale, ending up buying 4 like new tires for $100, since he wouldn't break the set. Seller let me know about a little tire shop nearby that would mount and balance for $10. Put the spare back and returned the car within 24 hours, so the one day free voucher that I happened to have for the rental car completely paid for it and drove home with 3 fairly new tires in the back. The only outside assistance was my client, who gave me a ride from the airport rental place back to where my car was parked. Since then I occasionally take a full sized wheel with me in the Prime on long trips, but it does take up a lot of space.

MTN, breakfast and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There should be a jack, just hiding in an obscure compartment? Excellent story btw.

breakfast likes this.
  6. shoe07039

shoe07039 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II