1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No spare tire!

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by bob749prius, May 22, 2010.

1. bob749prius

bob749prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had made a LEAF reservation for $99 and reviewed the car specs. MUCH to my surprise, the car does not come with a spare tire. I have the same issue with the SMART car. IT isn't very SMART to LEAF your spare tire behind. It is a safety issue!! At a minimum, it should be available to those who want one. I canceled my LEAF deposit the same day I made it. :eek: Any thoughts??

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably more of an issue in a bigger country like the USA, but it is becoming almost the norm now for manufacturers over here to either provide a space saver spare or none at all, leaving you at the mercy of one of those puncture repair cans.

I suppose they could argue it's environmentally friendly not to carry all that weight around all the time and I suppose if it really upset you you could go and buy a spare for your peace of mind.

Another argument is that the Leaf is a city car and as such shouldn't leave you totally out in the sticks with a puncture. Maybe keep your breakdown recovery membership card to hand?

Obviously you feel strongly about this issue, but its a small price to pay for a wonderful car.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Grumpy has a point in that since the Leaf has a 100 mile range, there's a good chance you are not more than 50 miles from home. Or should I say: you should never be more than 50 miles from a charging station.

The spare in my Prius is a safety and convenience issue when I'm in the middle of Iowa on I-80 and literally hundreds of miles from anything. [insert Iowa joke here] But on a short-range vehicle like the Leaf, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Also, the Plug-in Prius will not have a spare either.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The truth is, you are more likely to be stranded by runing out of charge, than getting a flat tire. And, even that is difficult, as the onboard IT system always shows you the "range" on the GPS screen of where you can go in a circular radius with the car in the center. In my 10 years of driving 3 Prius's, I have never had a flat on a road that left me stranded (or needed to be changed on the road)... I did have a slow leak once that I noticed leaving work one day, and by the time I got home the tire was pretty flat... I put on the spare and took the damaged tire to get it repaired. BTW, it was a nail jammed in the tire that caused the slow leak.... Also, I have Triple A plus ($55 year, and gets me %20 discount on part of my insurance as well), they will either tow you home (within 100 miles) or to the nearest service station... It's perfect for the Leaf, you'll never be more than 100 miles from home, in theory. In the 10 years of driving, how much fuel has been wasted lugging around those "doughnut" spare tires? For the high density areas the leaf is designed for, a spare is really not needed.

Also, I believe the Leaf is going to come with some type of emergency road service for 3 years, from what I've read...

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have needed a spare engine more often than a spare tire, should I refuse to buy a car that doesn't have a spare engine?
    That said, if you feel it is that important for your own peace of mind, either buy an extra tire or don't buy the vehicle.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe for now most of us will never be more than 50 miles from home (I'd leave a safety margin and make that 40 or 45) but with the electric highway developing we're supposed to be looking toward the day when we make road trips in the Leaf.

However, more and more cars are coming out without a spare. I was chatting with the Porsche dealer about my quandary because the batteries had ousted the spare from my EV Porsche, and he told me that the new Porsches come without a spare! You're supposed to use a can of fix-a-flat, which ruins the tire, and then buy a new tire (or four new tires if they were worn down enough that one new one would be a mismatch) or else call for a truck to tow your car to a garage.

I had a flat in the middle of nowhere in the Prius and had to drive 50 miles on the doughnut tire. It was awful. But at least I didn't have to hitchhike to within cell phone range to call for a wrecker!

7. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had problems with alternators, batteries, leaks that set the hyundai alarm to go off continuously etc etc. But never needed to fix a flat in last 10 years on the road.

With modern tires I think the risk has gone down so much, it is probably not worth the space.

Didn't we have this exact same conversation (a long one at that) on leaf - may be in a different forum ;-)

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hmmmm . . . let's see . . . how many decades . . . and how many HUNDRED's of THOUSAND's of miles ago was it, that I had a flat. Hmmmm, I'll have to get back to you on that.

;)

Yea, I can see the rational. If it gets too many folk's shorts all bunched up, I'm sure those folks can just buy one of those teeny donut tires and keep it in the trunk. Or go REAL teeny . . . buy a can of flat fix it. There I go ... thinking outside the box. IMO, I'm ok with not having to pay for anything more than a can of flat fix it.

:p

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had two or three flats since I bought the Prius. Enough that I'd much rather have a spare than not.

And ruin the tire and have to buy a new tire. Or four new tires if just one new would unbalance the set.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be one of those generational things. I've experienced enough flats in my life, especially before cell phones were invented, that I will always feel inadequately prepared without a spare tire. And because I still frequently travel in areas with no cell service, AAA or an emergency roadside service plan is insufficient.

But the flat tire rate -- on cars, not on bicycles -- is now low enough that I can understand many people in the younger generations, particularly those who rarely venture into the cell phone map 'white areas', feeling they can get by without them.

Bicycles continue to provide this household with several flat tire repair reminders every year.

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With the mandatory TPMS on all the tires, it will have enough early warning that the tire is low on pressure and allow you drive to the near gas station to fill up or use the fix a flat can to get you home before the tire is ruined.
    With this argument, the spare will become the thing of the past.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You folks that have multiple flats ... you sound like perfect candidates for "run flat" tires. :p Thankfully, Nissan isn't strapping that cost onto the rest of us, either. :p But it does make me think ... I wonder how many flats per 100,000 miles the average vehicle has. I'm sure Nissan based their decision on some actuary that said that's the way it ought to be.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you have never heard of the high rate leaks caused by very wide gashes.

For the more common slow leaks, I don't see the point in ruining an otherwise good tire for a leak that is easily and cheaply repairable.

When these first came out, they were very expensive, and their very stiff sidewalls provided a harsh ride. The 'cure' was worse than the disease. No thanks, I'd rather just do a simple traditional tire change and repair every few years.

Have the prices and ride quality changed significantly?

14. bawzp9

bawzp9 Caries eliminator

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have goodyear run-flats and no spare on my prius. My car came that way @ no extra cost, and is fine by me. they are much quieter than the bridgestone potenzas I used to have on my last car. I think i'd rather have michelin energy savers with lower rolling resistance next and will get a spare of sorts... I noticed a lot more noise and reduced fuel economy with the potenzas compared to the continental procontacts that were on before them, but the grip was superb. our roads in southern oregon are loud to start with

anyone else have runflats?