1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No spare tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ernda, Sep 13, 2011.

1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like you would need to buy the tire, as well.

3. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah I figuted once I get the rim I can go to a mavis discount tire and get the cheapest tire out there. I know I am not going to like it in the back but peace of mind is more important.

4. Benalexe: This seems like a complicated way to get a spare tire, not only that this place is VERY expensive. Go on Craig's list, junkyards, ask if they have a 16" doughnut, 5 holes. I got a never used doughnut and rim, LOCALLY . So it was virtually brand new, and looks it. I admit I was lucky. But, maybe you can be also, time is not of the essence. Look local, don't pay shipping.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $70. for a new spacesaver wheel? seems quite reasonable. how much is a tire and mounting?

6. dsamp578

dsamp578 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I purchased a plugin at the beginning of month and promptly purchased a 2011 used Gen III donut. Had a custom box the color of the car made and stuck it in the back. Yep it takes up room, but I rather have the piece of mind knowing I have it in the rare case I need it. I can't take a chance in the desert. My wife had a blow-out on her 2003 Corolla two years ago. She recently had flat due to a sidewall puncture on a rear tire on her 2010 Gen III. Had to replace the tire. Yes she has AAA. But late at night on a dangerous freeway curve, better to get the spare on quickly and get out of there. Then the next day I can drive the car to the tire shop at the time of my choosing, not the wrecker company. Well worth the $140 total to avoid the aggravation of hoping the inflate-a-kit works. I guess I'm old school when it comes to spare tires.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, good idea.

8. one of the prices noticed was $375?, rediculous for a wheel, used plus maybe a tire with it. The site showed a lot of professionality but outrageous prices. The sad part is he probably get his prices over time.

9. Rezar1

Rezar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Would a spare tire from 09 Prius work on the 12 PIP?

10. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bit the billet and ordered a Toyota Rim and tire. I got it mounted by a local tire shop. I purchased a tire tote and have it strapped to the hooks in my hatch. Piece of mind. Besides I think I read someplace that if you use the fix a flat kit that came with the car they charge you over 150 for new goop.

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 2009 spare is a little smaller than the 2010+ spare. It would work but probably not as safe.

Also be aware that not all 5 lug wheels are the same size. Before I purchased my PIP, I thought I would just use my mom's Honda Civic or my wife's Hyundai Sonata spare when I go on long trips. Both are 5 lug and neither driver knows how to change a spare. I'd be the one called to do it, anyway. However, and don't quote me on this, I believe the PIP is a 5x100 and the Civic and Sonata are 5x114.5. They don't fit. I'll just have to borrow my dad's Corolla spare. It's an inch too small as well but I'll make do with it.

12. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What did you end up paying?

13. No, I think not, the 2010-2012 takes a 16" tire, the earlier generations take a 15" tire. Get a doughnut, or full size from the later years otherwise you "could" harm your axle.

14. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure you know what you are talking about.
    The PiP factory wheel is 15 inches.
    The TRD wheel is 17 inches.
    The Prius V station wagon wheel is 16 inches.

Most spare tires are a bit smaller than the normal tires, therefore your idea that you "could" harm your axle is unlikely.
    Besides, Prisus's don't have what most people think of as axles.

15. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Andy was talking about spare tire sizes. The 2010+ uses a 16" wheel for the spare.

16. Rezar1

Rezar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry..I should have been more specific. Would spare doughnut tire from 09 work on the 12 PIP?

17. NO, I have already gone this route, you need a doughnut from a 2010, 2011 or 2012. All the info is actually in this thread.

I have compared my doughnut with my tires, both are the same height, diameter. I would not put two different sizes on a axle, because it appears to lack common sense. I choose not to take a chance based strictly on somebody's opinion.

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kept one of these tire repair kits in each of our vehicles for years:
    [​IMG]
    They're inexpensive, available everywhere (including Walmart) super easy to use, easy to store and from my experience on two occasions- make an instant & permanent repair. Best thing- the PIP already comes with the inflation pump! I guess if I was going on a long out of state trip I might be tempted to haul a doughnut along, but for 99.9% of my driving I'll rely on the Tire Plug Kit. Once you've used the plug kit- you'll wonder why you never carried one before.

FWIW- I keep a small set of needle-nose pliers (to help pull the sticky repair wick through the small hole in the tip of the insertion tool) and a small pair of diagonal cutters to cut the excess wick off if the puncture is on the tread surface rather than in-between treads. I also keep a few pairs of blue nitrile disposable gloves in the zip-loc bag with the repair kit and tools because the plug wick is very sticky and nasty- you really need to wear gloves while working with it!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the pump does not work without the goop?

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, isn't the air hose on the goop bottle?