1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No speakers in rear doors, wiring not obvious

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hamish Baxter, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Hamish Baxter

Hamish Baxter New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I've recently purchased a gen 4 Japanese import Prius liftback (MY Dec 2015, but definitely the new shape). It seems that it might be the base model. There are only blank covers where the rear door speakers should be, so I took the panel off to put some in but oddly I can't even find wiring for them.
    Can anyone point out what I should be looking for? Thanks in advance,
    Hamish.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why would you expect wires where there were no speakers installed?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Hamish Baxter

Hamish Baxter New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Kevin, I'm not sure if your question suggests that you are intrigued by my expectations or whether you know that this car in fact does not have the wires that I am expecting?
    I've never known a wiring loom not to include them. I guess if all the other models have speakers, then a standard wiring loom would be in place.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If the car is indeed the base model sold in Japan from late 2015, identified as the “E” grade in brochures and by model code ZVW51-AHXBB on the nameplate inside the left front door, then it would have been built with only four speakers, all in the front.

The Equipment List (PDF, in Japanese) says the “E” grade has “4スピーカー(フロント),” that is, four speakers (front). The Electronic Parts Catalog confirms that the rear speaker assemblies wouldn’t be present, as does the Japanese edition of the Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info), which notes that the wiring (to connectors K4 and L5) is found only on models with six speakers.

The Specification Sheet (PDF, in Japanese) notes that the “E” grade’s excellent fuel economy (40.8 km/L in the JC08 test) is achieved only if the vehicle weight is less than 1,320 kg, and I imagine Toyota would have taken care to omit unnecessary wiring to save weight; that may also be the reason for omitting the rear speakers.

5. Hamish Baxter

Hamish Baxter New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Elektroingenieur, Yes that is the model code, so you've resolved my question. Much appreciated.

Elektroingenieur likes this.