1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No speedometer dash lights and car won't turn off - combination meter problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Triangle_Gator, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Triangle_Gator

Triangle_Gator New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ran into this problem this morning with the combination meter display. It went blank and the car won't turn off. This is my 08 Prius with 96k miles. Went to dealer and fortunately I am one month to the expiration of the 9 year warranty extension. If you ran into the same issue, it may be better to have it replaced before the extended warranty expires.

Attached Files:

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Please tell me what the problem was.

This happen to my 2005 gen 2 a couple years ago. I was leaving a restaurant and noticed the dash was blank. I went home and the car wouldn't turn off. I decided to unplug the 12V battery. I left it unplugged for the night and plugged it back in the morning. Everything worked after

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At best this is a temporary relief of the symptom. If this ever happens to any one, even only once, and they are within the warranty period (too late for you, even two years ago, Lectro), they should get it fixed under warranty. Under the warranty extension campaign, there is no need for the dealer to sight the fault or replicate it. They can do it on the say so that the customer had it happen.

If outside warranty, it costs about $150 to have the CM repaired, if the owner removes it and reinstalls the repaired unit. There is a link to one such place in my signature.

4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pull those 4 fuses with car on turn off install fuses reset 12v after lasted 2 years now on two different pruis

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Triangle_Gator

Triangle_Gator New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There was a letter from Toyota on this Combination Meter extended warranty which covers 9 years from the first use of the car. It states exactly what I encountered. Display went blank at cold temperature. I couldn't even turn off th car. The dealer told me that you could hold the start button for a while and reset it back to turn off the car and for the display to come back. When I drove the car to the dealer and showed him the warranty letter. He didn't even check the car, and just said he'd order the part and have it stalled next week.

Unfortunately, LectroFuel, your 05 Prius is out of that extended warranty period. You may be able to talk the dealer to honor it or may have to do it by yourself as Jmack said.

7. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It was just a one-time problem though. I'd get it fixed if it happened often. Yeah, I'm WAYYY outside the 3 year warranty.

8. christiw5

christiw5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im having the exact same problem with my 06. Dealer told me i needed a new key. $200 later still having the problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ridiculous. get your money back and have the display replaced under the extended warranty.

10. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't believe everything the dealer tells you. If you can't turn off the car, how is it the key is broken? The key doesn't go in the car

And if the speedo is broken, how is it the key's fault???