1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Standard IPOD Interface ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pwcfan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. baz

baz Previously owned Volvo S60R, Prius, Volvo XC70 T6

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the MY2010 Prius II. Single CD and SAT prep wiring etc. I bought the iPod Adapter and hooked it up to use with an iPod 15GB touch wheel 4th gen.

One has to carefully remove all the face panels surrounding the HU, and then remove the HU's 4 securing bolts. Once the HU is out pull out the 12-pin SAT connector (2nd one from left looking at rear of HU) and connect the iPod adapters 12-pin in its place. Connect the original 12-pin connecter to the other adapter's pig tail 12-pin connecter and then route the cable thru to the lower glove box. The routing is very easy and no holes need to be drilled in the glove box.

Coil and secure with the supplied ties the rather longish adapter's thick cable and place the supplied rubber glove around the iPod adapter metal box (presumably to avoid it rattling around behind the HU) and tuck it all behind and below the HU. Replace HU and face panels and it's done.

Unfortunately I'm finding the adapter does not work consistently. Some times it will play music and sometimes I can skip tracks and sometimes it will simply not play at all. I'm a little mystified with its operation at this time and I believe my issue is that the iPod's battery is so weak that it is interfering with the iPod's adapter functions. The iPod battery will drain within minutes and will not charge when the ignition is off and the iPod is not turned off.

I had a similar setup on my past Volvo S60R using the same iPod and had no such problems that I'm experiencing with the Prius.

I'm wondering if my iPod touch wheel is so old as to not be compatible with the Prius iPod Adapter kit. The Kit's manual does say it is compatible though.... :(

At this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

1) I could go out and buy a new iPod from Apple (their cheapest version) and see if that makes a difference. If not I can return the new iPod to Apple store within 14 days I believe.
    2) I could borrow a newer iPod than what I have from a friend and try that.
    3) I could return the Prius iPod Adapter kit for a refund.
    4) I could abandon using the iPod Adapter kit altogether and simple use the AUX input in the center console and manually control the music playback.

Any advice on how to proceed is welcomed. Thanks in advance. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. baz

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I borrowed a 2nd Gen iPod Touch from a friend and it worked perfectly in every respect with the iPod Adapter kit in my MY2010 Prius Pkg II.

This tells me the kit isn't 100% compatible with the 4th Gen Click wheel iPod (white). :(

3. baz

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ...some more info. I have an Apple iPhone 3G and I connected this to the adapter. The first thing the iPhone displays is a warning that the kit accessory isn't compatible and then asks if I want to place the iPhone in Airplane mode or not. I clicked on NO and then music starts playing thru the HU in the SAT mode -- just as it should. I then used the HU controls TEXT, Folder, etc and the steering wheel's track forward and track back and the volume controls and each and every one worked as it should. The HU displays track #, Playlist and song title.

So the Adapter kit is compatible with the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

However, when turning the HU off and ignition off the iPhone and iPod Touch remain powered ON and full operational functions are returned to the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Things are looking up for me. :D

4. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need an adapter to make the new iPods work with the old iPod connection kits.

Scosche Passport Makes New iPods Work with Older Firewire Dock Chargers
    [​IMG]

5. baz

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. :)

6. topoisomerase

topoisomerase New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    how difficult was it to remove the face panels? is there a recommended order for doing this or do you have any other tips you can share? thanks for any assistance you can provide!

cheers,
    t

7. rrainwater001

rrainwater001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought an iPod interface for my 2010 Prius IV (no solar/nav), but it did not come with the installation instructions. Do you know where I can get a copy of the installation instructions online?

8. LouieNet

LouieNet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're plugging into the headphone port on the iPod Touch, then you can pause the playback by unplugging the cable from the iPod.

9. nullxposur

nullxposur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    baz, could you possibly describe which panels you had to remove to get to the headunit?

10. Rainingblood

Rainingblood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Service Information

11. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am really confused here.. The dealer installed the regular iPod interface with the Nav package and it works? Then why do they say it won't?

12. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone figured out why there is the additional DVD tab on Priusbyrds'? And why does Zebedee's appear on the SAT tab? (Not that I know what tab it ought to be on; how about iPod?)

Zebedee's:
    [​IMG]

Priusbyrds':

[​IMG]

:confused:

13. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone have pics of the II stereo with Artist info on the screen? Just curious how it looks...

14. kevine062657

kevine062657 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about this -

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool, thanks!

16. PriusByrds

PriusByrds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The iPod interface that came with my 2010 was installed by Southeast Toyota Distributors "in port." I once read that SE Toyota Distributors had a great deal of leeway in determining what it can add to its Toyotas before allocating them to the dealers, things that may not be available to other distributors across the country. In any event, I'm very pleased with the iPod interface that they came up with, and which I ordered. It works great and I get to keep XM and XM NavTraffic, which work great, too. I've scanned a few pages from the Digital Audio Interface Owner's Manual that may be helpful. Notice that the date of the manual is 05-02-08, so it was written way before the 2010 Prius was developed. Thus, the screen shots in the manual are somewhat different than what's on my screen. Notice that the directions say that one operates the iPod like it is a CD changer. Interestingly, some of the illustrations in the manual show "DVD" on the screen. But, in fact, I can go to my iPod function by pushing the CD button on the dash. Repeatedly pushing the CD button toggles the function between the actual CD player and the iPod (DVD tab). So, I gather that SE Toyota (or its audio vendor) figured out a way to do the interface via the CD function of the OEM head unit and keeping the SAT in tact.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  17. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think that anyone can be assured that either of the two examples shown by you and Zebedee will reflected in the new iPod interface; for better or worse. I guess we'll just have to wait!

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I posted the owner's manual and install instructions for the USB & iPod interface kit in the thread linked below, and the screen shots don't match either of the above. It's accessed on the CD tab (not SAT or DVD as shown above).

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s/65848-usb-ipod-interface-kit-must-soon.html

1 person likes this.
  19. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  20. xanmato

xanmato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: