1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No sure where my battery is? 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Nov 19, 2010.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I must have left my door partway open and wore the battery down so my battery needs a jump start. However I can't figure out where the battery is (or my manual to check). When I called Toyota they said it was in my hatchback but all I see in there is my jack and stuff. I swear I had this happen before once and the battery was under the hood. I have someone stopping by after work to jump start it and told them I would figure out before he came here where the battery was.

Also if it is in the backend how do I open up my hatch with no power? I looked for an inside latch but can't seem to find one.

Also I did have some power at first but the overhead lights were dim and the dash lights were coming on but the car wouldn't move. After trying several times with that now I have no power.

Sorry as you can see I don't know much about cars. :redface:

I'm hoping all it needs is a jumpstart. I do have an extended warranty if it might be something else. Toyota said to start by trying to jump start it.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Tracy

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It probably just needs a jumpstart. Open the hood. Facing the car you will see the main fusebox on the right just behind the headlamp. On the front edge of this box there is a latch. Operate the latch and open the lid. Inside you will see a red plastic "thing" closer to the windshield. It will flip up if you try to lift it. Underneath it is the +ve terminal to boost the car. Use the bolt just above that on the firewall for the -ve clip. The Prius doesn't need a lot of current to boost it so you don't have to be especially careful to minimize resistance in the boost clips. It's best that the boosting car isn't running. That way the electronics in the two cars won't argue about regulation. You can even use a portable booster (about $50 at auto stores) or a spare 12V battery, such as a motorcycle one. You just need jumper cables (small type are fine).

You may need a new battery, as fully draining them does damage them, especially if it is 3 or more years old.

The battery is actually in the hatch area. If you want to look at it, open the hatch. If there is no 12v power you have to get to the release from the back seat (climb over the folded down seat, remove the hatch floor cover, and it's at the base of the hatch door near the centre). Let's assume you want to look at it while there is power available (battery not dead). With the hatch open, remove the hatch floor. Remove the cargo tray. Facing the rear of the car, remove the triangular cover on the right side (just ahead of the taillamp) inside the hatch. You will then see the battery. It's much easier to boost the car from the front, using the boost terminal.

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, so I don't have to worry about the battery in the hatchback if I don't need to see it right?

So my guy that is coming by is jumpstarting it from under the hood right? I guess what I will do is print off your instructions and hand it to him and HOPE it can understand it. (I'm having a tough time understanding it :redface: )

I hope my battery is ok. If it's not then it would take a jump? And if it is my battery how much is it for a new one? (It's not covered under my extended warranty right?)

I'm hoping my battery is ok for now as I'm working on using my Toyota credit card to build up some rewards points. I have some larger purchases to make with it soon where I can build up some points and then I will be able to use those for a new battery in the future if the one I have now is still ok. (Right now paying to have my daughters trailer pipes replaced right before winter so hoping it doesn't pour rain on me)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The person doing the jumpstart must be sure that he is observing the correct battery polarity: positive terminal of the donor vehicle's battery to the positive terminal of the Prius, etc. If he does not, then your car's inverter may short, in which case you are facing a 4-digit repair bill.

2. Once the car is successfully jumpstarted, you will need to keep the Prius READY for `8 hours if you wish to fully recharge the 12V battery. Pls don't think that 20 minutes of run time is sufficient (as some owners appear to think.) If you fall into that trap it is likely that the car won't start again tomorrow.

3. It is possible that the 12V battery will not hold a charge; in that case you'll need to replace it. MSRP is $139 but some dealers will charge more, and if you have the service dept install it then expect to pay another $100 or so for labor. Good luck.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Tracy's Comment: Oh wow I didn't realize batteries were SO high. Hope mine is ok and I will definalty keep it in ready mode once I know how to do that. I want to do anything I can to revive it.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The need to observe correct battery polarity is present with all vehicles. However the penalty for a screwup with a regular car is that the alternator might need to be replaced, typically a 3-digit repair bill. The cost impact with a Prius screwup will be a low 4-digit number, maybe $2K or so.

2. Just leave the car READY, in P, with the parking brake set. It won't hurt, but doesn't help to take the car for a drive. The main concern is to leave the car READY for a long period of time, regardless of whether it is driven or not.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, thanks for the information. I will definatly make sure both of those steps are done. So my guy will be jumpstarting the car from under the hood right? I'm printing out those directions above from him and hopefully he will understand them.

8. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Find your manual and keep it handy for this kind of occasion. It shows you everything in that book. Everything for jump start is under the hood, but you need instruction otherwise you don't have a hope, even a trained mechanic if he has never worked on a Prius. Just to find the battery without the manual would be difficult for most. So find that book, and look through it now and then. H

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I have located ALL my Toyota Pruis manuals now. But aren't Davids instructions enough to give the guy coming? Or will it help him to also read about it in the manual? He is stoping by after work and I told him I would be ready to give him the info. I guess I will give him both the instructions from David and the manual. Since he is a mechanic he should be able to figure it out. He was just unfamilar with the Prius when he stopped by this morning and he had to get back to work. And when I called Toyota they said the battery was in the hatchback and had to be jumped from there. That is why I got so confused. Cause a couple years ago I remember this same thing happening and swore we jumped it from under the hood.

Hopefully he will e able to get it going for me. Otherwise I will have no choice but to pay to have it towed to Toyota.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

2. Just leave the car READY, in P, with the parking brake set. It won't hurt, but doesn't help to take the car for a drive. The main concern is to leave the car READY for a long period of time, regardless of whether it is driven or not.[/QUOTE]

Ok, It took the jumpstart with no problem. I got it on an running now. So your saying just leave it completly on and running for 8 hours? I have it sitting outside my business right now. (I guess nobody can steal it since they have no key for it.) Once I close my business for the night at 8:00pm central time I will take it for a drive. Will I be able to run to a store with it? And if I do can I turn it off while I run in? Or do I leave it running and manually lock all the doors with my key inside the FOB?

I appreciate your help. Now I just want to make sure I get it charged back up properly.

Also to prevent this from happening a 3rd time I shut off the dome light and will leave it off. That way if I ever don't close the door properly/tight enough it won't run the battery down again? I certainly don't want to do anything to mess with the life span of my battery. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had to do anything to my 06 Prius except for the regular mantinence and replace the 2 windshield wipers. (However I only have 24,000 miles on it)

PS Oh I see now that you said it won't help if I take it for a drive. But wondering if I can at least run to the store and what I should do with the car while I'm in the store.

Also how much will my gas go down leaving it on and running for 8 hours? Not worried about the gas loss I'm just worried cause I only have 3 bars left right now.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is legal and safe to do so, it would be best to leave the car READY and lock the doors however you can, as you run your errands.

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I think I can take my key out of my fob and then manually lock my doors. (Just gotta remember how to do that)

Why is it illegal to leave a car on and running some places? I never heard of that around here unless there is kids involved.

Wondering about the gas loss for the 8 hours it sitting running? I have 3 bars left of gas. Will that e any issue?

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Another question (sorry for so many)

Should the motor be shutting down so much? I figure it would be running more since it needs to be recharged?

It even shut done almost as soon as we jumped started it. The Mechanic thought at first it wasn't taking the jump and turned off complelty. I had to let them know that was a normal thing.

Just thought it would run more because of what happened?

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To avoid further problems caused by an out-of-fuel situation, i recommend that you refuel tonight if possible.

The traction battery provides high voltage DC to the DC/DC converter when the Prius is READY. The DC/DC converter produces low voltage DC (at ~13.8VDC) for the 12V bus. The 12V battery is connected to the 12V bus, and receives charging current when the Prius is READY.

The gasoline engine will run only when the traction battery needs to be charged. Apparently the state-of-charge of that battery was good at the time the car was jumped.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, thanks for ALL your help! Do I shut my car off when I refuel tonight? (I think I have to right??)

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, in the interest of safety you should. I personally might not shut off the engine given your circumstances, but that choice is up to you.

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I thought I saw a sign at the cash station to turn off your car before refueling.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I really hope that in future Toyotas have the feature that many (all?) Nissans have where all or virtually all the lights, automatically shut off after 30 minutes, if the car is off. This includes the map lights and even if you leave a door open. (There seems to be an exception or missed item on my Z where the rear hatch area light won't auto turn off if you leave the hatch open.)

I asked about this when I was a newbie at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/14548-new-06-prius-owner-bunch-questions.html.

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So it shutting off my dome light and leaving it off enough so if I don't shut my door tight my battery won't ware down?

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member