1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No tachometer questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LDB, Sep 6, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm working my way through the Encyclopedia Britannica, I mean owner's manual, and I've searched but so far haven't found it. I'm sure I will but thought I'd ask to speed things up. With no tach how can I tell if the engine is running? Yesterday I checked the display, the one with an engine, a motor and a battery, and sometimes there were red arrows flowing out of the engine and into the motor and front wheel. Other times there were no arrows from the engine, only from the motor to the wheels and/or battery. Those were times when the mpg was pegged on the 100mpg mark. So, how do I know when the engine is running and when it isn't?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would need a scan gauge or some such.

3. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was afraid of that. I'd hoped it had something to do with the red arrows.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the engine's warmed, and your speed's below ~72 kmh (what's that, about 45 mph), and you see instant mpg go right up to the top (I assume, it drops to zero for metric), then your engine's off.

Above that 45 mph, the engine will be at least idling (around 900 rpm), but it's weird: both ScanGuage and the car will tell you you're not consuming gas, at least when you're purely coasting. I'm not sure how that works, but it sounds good.

A ScanGauge can give RPM, but after a while it get's old displaying it, and the above clues are all you need. You can also feel the engine, especially if all AC is off.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the arrows are a very poor estimate for someone who's only casually interested.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is that anytime the EV indicator is on, the ICE is not running. It might be spinning over if you are driving faster than 43 or so, but no fuel will be injected.

DSC01680.JPG

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yup, the "EV" light is the one that tells you no fuel is being burned, and usually tells you the engine is not running at all.

dorunron likes this.
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The instantaneous mpg display being pegged at 100 mpg is usually but not always a good clue the engine is not burning any fuel. If for example it's consuming 0.38 gph while the car is moving at 42 mph, or if it's consuming 0.60 gph at 65 mph, the instantaneous mpg is actually over 100, which looks exactly the same on that silly gauge as zero consumption.

What's trickier, even with benefit of a ScanGauge, is confirming that no fuel is being injected while coasting at over 45 or so mph, when the wheels are spinning the engine (at about 992 RPM, to avoid overrevving MG1). In that circumstance, the OE mpg indicator will be pegged at 100 whether fuel is injected or not, and the ScanGauge sometimes gives nonsense numbers for fuel flow rate (and for mpg).

I don't understand the comments above about the "EV Light." Isn't it on only if you've pushed the "EV" button?

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The EV light will illuminate with or without the EV button being used. You might be confusing the EV Mode and EV Indicator on the HSI Display. There is a difference.

The EV light will illuminate when the Prius is "gliding and being is stage S4". It will also illuminate if you are in "Golf Cart" mode. These modes are discussed in the link below in my signature file. It will also illuminate if you are parked and the ICE is off but the Prius is in "Ready Mode". Basically anytime there is no fuel being injected, the EV light on the HSI display will more than likely be on.

DSC01674.JPG

10. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with others about EV light. In my 2013 when the EV light is on the engine is not turning. I monitor my engine and temperatures with EngineLink HD app for IPad. See picture below. Every time the engine RPM is zero the EV light is on. This has nothing to do with the EV mode button. Just look at the EV light to know if your engine is turning.

image.jpg

11. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks interesting. What do you need other than the iPad? I looked in the app store for it and found one thing with that name but it didn't show that screen in the examples.

12. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    image.jpg
    There are unlimited screen layouts. You "build" the layout to your desire. You need to buy an ELM327 ODB II WIFI transmitter on Amazon for the IPad to link with.

Here is a layout of the traction battery volts

#12 HGS, Sep 6, 2015
  13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I was not confused at all until references to such an "EV Indicator on the HSI Display" appeared in this thread. There's no such indicator in my 2011 Prius, and it's not mentioned or shown in the owner's manual. That feature must've been added with the 2012 or 2013 model year. ?? Another change I see in your photo is that the dividing line I have in the center of the HSI is missing.

If it operates as you describe, it's a bit misleading, in that much of the time it's on, the car is not electrically powered, but coasting on stored kinetic and/or potential energy---just as I could do with any of my previous non-hybrid cars.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    CR94, that light has been there since the 2010 MY. The dividing line did disappear and my guess is it happened with the 2012 refresh.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the 2013 Prius Model Three that I own and drive, the so called dividing line disappears IF the transaxle is in P (Park). If you have it in D the dividing line will appear separating the left and right side. Sorry that the pic's I posted did not show the line. Here is a pic that shows the line that might help to clear up any confusion.

hsi bar.png

Furthermore, I have not driven nor have I seen a 2011 similar to the one CR94 is referring to, so I can only speculate as to when the instrumentation changed.

#15 dorunron, Sep 6, 2015
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be strange. Is the "EV" indicator light shown or described in your 2010 owners manual? The 2011 manual shows no less than 6 illustrations of the HSI in 4 different positions, but not one of them shows an "EV" light where Dorunron's photo shows it. I can't find it mentioned or shown anywhere else in the manual, either.

Dorunron, I'll look tomorrow to see whether my center dividing mark disappears in "P." If it does, I haven't noticed.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall ever seeing that light on my 2010 Prius. My understanding was that it appeared with the 2012 refresh, which I now drive.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I have taken the time to educate myself a little more whereas I can truthfully explain why CR94 does not see the EV indicator that my uploaded pictures show.

The following is a quote from John1701a 2010 Prius Guide that can be found easily doing a google search.

EV Indicator Introduced with the 2012 models of Prius is the “EV” indicator. This is when that car-shaped symbol is filled with “EV” inside. This informs you when the gas engine has stopped. In other words, it tells you when you are driving with the engine at 0 RPM. This is the mode commonly referred to as “Stealth”, since you are still in HV but propulsion is currently electric-only

End of Quote

As you can see John also states that when the EV indicator is lit, the engine has stopped. Yes, it could be gliding, coasting or running on the battery but that is how the indicator is designed to function.

Hopefully that clarifies things whereas the confusion is no longer.

Regards,
    Ron (dorunron)

http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_User-Guide.pdf

fuzzy1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V