1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no tax in DC??

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by betshsu, Sep 8, 2006.

1. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    New to DC. We bought a 2006 in VA and live in DC, but the dealer couldn't do the TT+L for us because we didn't have DC drivers' liscenses at the time. Getting ready to go into the DMV to take care of the DC registration, title, etc, and pay the sales tax on the car. However, browsing about on dc.gov, it seems that there is an exemption on hybrids for DC excise tax. Is this true, or I interpreting this wrong (somewhere it says "excise tax on title" but I'm not sure what that means--the other references are just to the excise tax on the vehicle)? Are we not going to have to pay sales tax on the car?? That would be one sweet surprise, considering I thought that the sales tax on the car was going to be higher than regular sales tax.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are correct.

In DC you don't pay the 'excise' (sales or registration) tax on hybrids, which is around 8%.

You also pay half of the regular registration fee each year.

Unfortunately for me I bought mine before the Council passed the Tax Exemption, hehe.

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Sep 9 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]317024[/snapback]</div>
    I'm definitely glad I had that info before I went into the DMV to register the car. The VIN wasn't in the system, so the woman entered the info by hand and screwed it up--I was questioning the excise tax, and she realized that the registration fee was too high for a hybrid. In the end it got worked out, and no excise tax. Wow. Including taxes and all, we paid less for the 2006 than the 2005 (because there was no tax exemption in Texas on hybrids, and we got the 2006 for $1500 less than MSRP). And the federal tax credit is better now than it was in 2004. Wohoo!