1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Tire pressure readout?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by usdmattiphone, Mar 18, 2012.

1. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I notice that in this thread someone posted screenshots of the Display audio manual that shows the ability to display tire pressure of each tire: http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/103349-owners-manual-pip-out-8.html
    However it appears no such thing exists for the HDD Premium nav unit. Is this true? Has anyone been able to find anything similar for the advanced unit? Is this even equipped on the Display Audio systems? I really thought it'd be a neat feature to not just get a warning, but to be able to actually check tire pressure without having to use an external device on each individual wheel.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All I could find for the HDD Premium unit was a reference to an idiot light that would indicate that some tire was significantly below the set point. Even my 5-year old Honda Pilot has a display that denotes which tire has the issue.

3. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Picking up mine this week. But got the manuals yesterday. It does have it referenced in the manual for my non-advanced PIP.
    Will let you know if it is actually there later this week.

4. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hey, Where is the Tire Pressure Warning System display, as in the Display Audio System Owner's Manual, page 89 ???

I just went out to my PIP Base model and pressed CAR button (which is on the right-side of the display, not the left like in the manual).
    I didn't get the Fuel Consumption / Tire Pressure display of page 86. I instead got the Energy Monitor of the regular Owner's Manual page 53.

Now we ALL know that the Base PIP has the same Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors as the Advanced model and the Base model has the same Warning Tire LED as the non-PIP Prius, so why is the software limiting the Base model from displaying the actual Tire Pressures as apparently only the Advanced is allowed to display?

I understand that I didn't pay for the Leather Seats or the Collision Avoidance System or the LED Headlights or the HomeLink Rearview mirror, but I thought I would get the same Software for all the other features.

5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Also, with the PIP, the factory Tire Pressures are again 35 psi front and 33 psi rear.

In my 2007 I set my tire pressures at 40 front and 38 rear, as many suggested.

With the heavier battery for the PIP, I'm suprised the factory rear pressure isn't higher.

What are the User-suggested PIP Tire Pressures?

6. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

The Advanced unit doesn't have it either. I spent a bunch of time on my Advanced unit and there is nowhere to see tire information.

7. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In fact, the OP has the Advanced package, and was wondering if somehow only the Basic package had the tire pressure readout as shown in the online user manual.

I suspect that this is something that disappeared between the pre-production and production models :(

8. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the Base model and you cannot see what the tire pressure is in the tires. I'm a bit curious as to how it will tell me when I have a pressure problem.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think we'll just get a light on the dash that warns there is a tire with low pressure. Which tire is low is up to you to find. Seems kind of ridiculous not to include that.. the data is there.. just need the computer to make it available for display.

10. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just an idiot light which is a cross-section of a tire with a ! through it. All that fancy computer stuff, and they can't at least put up a display like on my 2007 Honda Pilot that has has an outline of the car body with four wheels with the one with the trouble highlighted. The same diagram it uses to tell you which door is ajar. Like on high-end copiers that have an LCD display that illustrates the various compartments along the paper path and points to the one with the jam.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never had low tire pressure in 8 years, is this a big problem?

The Electric Me likes this.
  12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My 2007 Prius had the Tire Pressure Warning light.
    The PIP Ownwe's Manual page 477 talked about it.
    The PIP Display Audio System Owner's Manual page 86-89 talks about the Tire Pressure screen.
    If neither the Base model nor the Advanced model have the screen of the Tire Pressures, why is it in the Audio Manual ???

Who has the Software Fix ???

13. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    TOYOTA!:(

Be the first to complain to Toyota.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have the screen in my Advanced and my dad who has the base PiP does not have the screen as well even though the display audio manual shows it should display it.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The first time I saw this in a 2007 Prius, I couldn't figure out what it was and had to look it up in the manual. IMO, it's not a very intuitive icon. I think they should have used a tire w/ a flat side view.

16. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nav manual section 7 pg 190-3 (n07.pdf download).
    No Nav manual section 4 pg 86-90 (nn04.pdf download).

So the tire pressure option isn't showing after pressing the Car button?
    Software app install missed at the factory? hmm

17. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    We need a Factory Man on PriusChat to help us !!!

18. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    it's partially about monitoring pressure. If my tires get lower than 43.5/41.5 I'd like to know about it so my MPG doesn't suffer for longer than it has to. I'll likely be checking every 2 weeks or so to ensure it keeps a good pressure, but it'd be nice to not have to manually do it all the time.

19. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That brings up another question.

What do you use to check your tire pressure and are you sure it's accurate? And is there a way for you to check the accuracy of the device?

When I ask Tire shops, the mechanics haven't thought of their cheap pencil gauges being inaccurate. And most shops don't have a Master Gauge to check against.

And NYS Weights and Measure when they go to Gas Stations, they check the timing of the Air Pumps, but they don't check the accuracy of the gauges. Crazy !!!

20. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I looked to it doesn't exist.