1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no traction in snow

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Bsver, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Bsver

Bsver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have never had this experience in 33 years of car ownership and driving in snow. Have a 2012 v and absolutely no traction in snow. Got stuck in my flat driveway, on 1" of snow in parking lot, up a hill that required pushing all the way up the hill by two people. Is there any way to disengage the TRAC system? There is no moment in which the car bites into the snow and moves. It basically just rocks (too strong a word, because there is no movement) in place with the TRAC light on. I basically can't drive it. Any thoughts? I looked at some videos posted in the gen 3 forum and the car looks like it pulses and moves a bit at a time. No such experience with mine.

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't have a v, but I took my Persona the other day into an empty parking lot to test the stock tires and on purpose stopped at a weird angle on the kinda steep entry way that had a fresh couple inches expecting to just stay stuck and have to back out. I was very pleasantly surprised that yeah traction control obviously kicked in but it climbed right up the grade without any fuss kinda like my old Subies used to…

I then messed around and couldn't get the car to spin out as the stability control works real good…

We are expecting 4''-8", tonight into tomm so if we get the 8'' my opinion might change as I have to travel a little for work tomm but its on a major highway (not my normal commute). We shall see..

Bsver, if you live in the snow belt or anywhere where you get more than a few coatings you might want to consider some good snow tires...

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What tires, how much tread depth left?

4. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    X-Ice Xi3 Michelin's Was the answer to ice and snow for me ,,, but if there is a solid 6 inches
    Or more , wait till some one makes tracks ahead of you ,,,,

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An in-a-pinch solution, for just getting up an icy ramp, is to turn steering hard over to one side, go a foot or two, then switch to the other side. You're effectively turning your route into a series of (less steep) switchbacks.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, Toyota has decided that they won't give you the ability to spin a wheel and burn out the hybrid system. So, no traction means no go. But as others have posted, tires might be your real issue. But in any case, momentum is your friend.

7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    People have posted routines to turn off TRAC on the 2012-14 Prius v but I've tried them and none have worked. Toyota has apparently finally admitted that it is a problem since a TRAC OFF button has been added to the Prius v for the 2015 model year as one was added to the Lexus CT200h, which has the same drivetrain, a year or two ago.

Our Prius v hasn't been driven much in winter but got stuck at the end of last winter. Until then we had been debating whether or not to buy winter tires for it but have since bought a set of four Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, four 16" steel wheels, four TPM sensors and an ATEQ TPM Quickset tool for reprogramming the ECU in our cars when we do the winter/summer switchover.

Even with winter tires, I suspect our Prius v will occasionally get stuck. There is no substitute for turning TRAC off in deep snow.

8. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    traction in snow is completely dependent on the tires and limited slip differential. if you don't have a snow tires recommended by consumer reports, who actually test them, you will be dependent on whatever tires are on your prius. if you don't have a limited slip differential, and prius don't, you are dependent on both tires having equal traction. if one doesn't, you will merely get one wheel spinning and the other just looking at you. trac may try to act like an LSD but its not quite the same. in your case the problem is most likely well worn summer, LRR, or all season tires. especially LRR, well worn or not.

9. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You could have the best x-ice or Blizzak winter tires and they won't help you rock your vehicle out of a snow drift or get you going in deep snow if can't turn traction control off. I must have had to turn TRAC off and 100+ times while driving 25 miles home in fresh unplowed 12 inches of snow in my RWD Lexus V8 sedan equipped with nearly new Blizzak WS70 tires. It should have been a 10 mile drive but I had to search for streets that weren't blocked by abandoned vehicles including countless abandoned 4WD SUV's.

Our 2012 Prius v is the first Toyota/Lexus we've owned where TRAC could not be turned off. It is disappointing but we are fortunate that our Prius is not used much in winter and it is good to see that Toyota has added a TRAC off button to the 2015 Prius v and to other Toyota hybrid vehicles that have the same drivetrain.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    No "traction control off" button on the 2015 Persona liftback though.....:(

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been driving in snow all winter with oem tyres and zero traction issues. perhaps you should have it looked at? i mean, one inch of snow in a flat parking lot?

Bob-blehead and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  12. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been driving a '06 Prius for the past 9 years and have always had studded snow tires in the winter. I drive over the Oregon coastal range about every other weekend all winter... and while we do not get a lot of snow, black ice is not uncommon. I've never gotten stuck, and I've never had to put on the chains.

When driving over the Cascade range... I generally take the Jeep since it is much higher and snow is common in the winter (but not this winter).

/Jim

13. Zrkia

Zrkia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As others have said, tires are probably your problem. I have driven my v for three michigan winters with General Altimax Arctic winter tires and it goes as well as my Jeep Patriot did in snow. Never had a problem in deep snow, and rarely even turn on the TC or ABS lights.

Bob-blehead likes this.
  14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hasn't been an issue; we use Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires.

15. rspeaker

rspeaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can't explain it... Had an issue backing into the driveway a few nights ago with 1/2" of snow, but today pulled through 2"+ of snow and slush no problem.

I guess if the car is moving forward, traction isn't an issue.

16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can turn off the traction control; however, it is convoluted to say the least. I tried it tonight on my Prius v and it worked. After trying it once, I shutdown and did it again in about 10 seconds.

To disable traction control on the Prius:
    1. Parking Brake On
    2. Turn the car to ignition by pressing START twice without pressing the brake.
    3. Floor the gas pedal two times (two full top to bottom pressings)
    4. Make sure the parking brake is on, and while pressing the brake pedal put the car into NEUTRAL
    5. Again press the gas pedal two times
    6. Push PARK and press the gas pedal two more times
    7. Now put your foot on the BRAKE and press START one time while holding the brake down.
    Traction Control Disabled.jpg

#16 rjparker, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  17. J L

J L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm on the stock Bridgestone Turanza tires, otherwise the most unrefined and uncomfortable tires I have driven on, and I'm getting through snow just fine.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and you guys got some snow, from what i hear!:cool:

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Convoluted doesn't begin to describe it. Or you could use proper winter tires...

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please, please, Bsver, answer this question. At 3-ish years old, I suspect your OEM tires are now garbage in snow compared to what they could do when new, which even then wasn't comparable to real winter tires. I know mine were, both on my first Prius (2010,), and on my current Prius (2012). The later set is now questionable even in ordinary Puget Sound area rain.