1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No trouble code but intermittent Red Triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zytra, Jul 25, 2016.

1. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Guys,
    Seems like issues with my 06 prius battery are back, however this time it is rather strange but very predictable.
    I cannot read any trouble code as the red triangle on the dash (and "problem" on the display) never stays on more than a few seconds (1-5 seconds at most).

at first it was doing this only after long downhill driving (like my 1.5 mile downhill street at 25 mph) - charging the battery and once getting to the last green bar I would get a Bip, red triangle and "problem" on the display.

this has been going on for 4 weeks roughly.

But it's gradually getting worse, the same symptoms would appear after shorter downhill driving. And now it does almost every time I get the foot of the accelerator (assuming the car has decent momentum to regenerate)

I am guessing a module is starting to fail but last time I had a failed block, it didn't do that. One day I got the red triangle along with a bunch of other lights and that was it.

I am logging all my trips with torque pro and custom PID's but I fail to see anything wrong in the logs.

I'm in China right now and my wife is driving the Prius and according to her it's gotten worse.

Other than for this, the car still drives fine with 41 mpg (we were down to about 30-32 when we drove with the failed block).

does anyone have any idea what this could be?

thanks
    steve

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should check your engine oil level ASAP. That intermittent triangle is showing up because your engine is starved from the lack of oil....whenever you go uphill/downhill/turning

3. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh wow
    good to know - isn't there a oil pressure sensor and gauge or light?
    thank you so much I will tell her to do that right away!

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    while your at it, tell her she needs to check it regularly before the engine is damaged. every other fill up is a good time to check it.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes there is a light, you are seeing it

6. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mean something a little more explicit - like a oil level light or something.

thanks, I will start looking at the oil levels manually more often