1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No TSB? Starter Plate (but we GOT no starter)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hill, Mar 31, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Took the 2004 Prius in for an oil change & the tech showed me a tab on the starter plate that can possibly gouge into a (wire?) harness/jacket right next to it. The tab IS kinda sharp. I'm going to either file it back and/or double up the jacket.

I'm guessing the engine is used in other model Toyotas that HAVE starters, and so the Prius simply has a plate over the hole where the starter would otherwise be. Maybe you can just take it off and grind it. You can't just turn it over and leave the tab on, even though the plate is a symetric oval shape ... or the sharp areas will be equally close to a high voltage cable jacket.

Maybe they changed the starter plate on later models that most of you folks have, but it's funny I haven't seen a post about this yet ... or a TSB from the factory. No pics yet, but you CAN see pics on PC of the area in question posted for EBH installs. I'll get one up later today when I get home.

Any body? Any body?

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a sore spot that I believe Hobbit has brought up, with pictures. He recommends rotating that plate so the tab isn't pointing that direction. I really should check it out on my car, I just don't crawl around underneath it too often.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Hobbit's photos it sure looks like the plate is designed to fit the other way round, where it would not interfere with the harness, and that it was simply installed wrong.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Shoot, wishing you'd of posted a link to hobbit's pics, because I don't have time to search for 'em right this moment. But like I said, if you flip it, the sharp tab will be close to the high voltage line, placed about 3" higher up. The tab simply needs to be removed, to do it right, as it's a risk whether flipped or in the original position.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Google for "hobbit" and "prius". It's pretty simple. [and, I'll
    admit, rather gratifying...] Here's the starter blockoff-plate
    writeup, in any case.
    _H*

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok, back home:

HERE'S MY concern:
    hobbit's high voltage cable is what I'd call "moderately" close to the sharp tab, once he turned it over. Skeuwz me if I borrow your pic ~ see the red arrow:

[​IMG]
    If our starter plate were turned around, it'd be less than HALF his distance between the sharp tab, and the high voltage cable (I'm guessing his is 1.25"-1.5" away) ... perhaps just because of the way the cable sits in its harnesss(es). Any rate, I'm talking about 3/4" close, on our prius. Personally, I'd rather the sharp tab wear through a NON-high voltage cable :eek:

In any event, if the dealer won't remedy the problem for free, why not just grind it off once you take it loose, rather than point at another victim? Maybe it's just me, but I don't want no stinkin sharp tab close to EITHER cable.

Seems like the dealer ought to be willing to make it right. :mad: Has anybody tried? Wish I'd have noticed when the Prius was jacked up on stand for our EBH install . . . rather than have the Firestone dude point it out some time later. Sigh

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To clarify, the black cable is not a high voltage one. It's a
    harness carrying the motor position sensors and a couple of
    thermistors. The orange one in the picture [and I can't
    imagine why you don't simply point to mine, as opposed to
    a diminished-quality copy] is for the A/C compressor.
    Turning the plate around doesn't really place metal anywhere
    dangerously near the A/C harness, but does get it satisfactorily
    away from the MG sensor bundle. The picture's sort of got
    the wrong perspective to make that clear.
    _H*

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Actually, that WAS your pic that I posted ... just blown up to show the closeness the the orange cable. NOT high voltage? That's good to know, but I'd of sworn that all the high voltage cables (only) were orange.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The orange cable leading to the A/C compressor is a high voltage cable. You are correct, orange signifies high voltage.

It may be that in your car, the clearance between that cable and the starter plate is less than Hobbit's car. Then the best solution would be to grind off the tab if possible.

10. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill, have you checked under the car ?

I've rotated the plate on my 2005 and there is no way it would interfere with the HV cable (orange). At least it is much much less at risk than the other way around.

Just go and take a close look by yourself and you'll see. No need of grinding the plate.

:)

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hooe kay,
    This weekend if not sooner, I'll crawel under and take pics when I pull it to grind. I'll turn it around for pics. It'll be startling how close the orange cable will be ... about 1/2 the distance shown on hobbit's. Yes, as stated above, I was under the car when it was up on the Firestone Oil change rack (they wanted to do it ... for a small fee ... ). Toyota's gettin' off cheep here.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be very careful that heat from the grinding doesn't warp the plate. You don't want to break the seal and start a leak. Cutting it off with a hacksaw might be safer, or fit a plastic boot over it so it can't abrade the cable bundle.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The orange cable providing power to the air conditioner compressor has a plastic clamp holding it in position. You can see this with the hood open. It looks like the cable can be moved to either increase or decrease the spacing to the plate covering the starter hole.

Hence, you may find there is no need to modify the plate.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no seal, it just slaps dry over the hole. The damper
    clutch underneath it runs in a non-fluid environment.
    One should, however, pay attention to bolt torque, since the
    two bolts are also part of the set holding transmission to
    engine.
    _H*

15. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

When I got my car a year ago there was a lot of talk about this issue. I looked at mine and saw that the cable is safely away from the tab. I wonder if an '08 owner can check if the tab has been repositioned or eliminated? I have a feeling, no disrespect for the work done already, that the tab is correctly positioned and some function the engineers wanted. The cable can be formed away from touching anything. The reason I think this is that it is highly unlikely Toyota would manufacture a plate with extra shapes, like the tab, for no reason, and also put it on backwards for several years. IMHO

16. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

Why not just squeeze down an adjustable wrench on to the tab in question and give it a little bend? It's hard to see in the picture but that way you have a rounded surface, not a sharp edge. I'll have to take a look at mine but with 78,000 + miles I'm guessing there's not to much of a problem.

Bill