1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No TSBs taken care of...what to ask dealer?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ytsejamer1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey everyone,

I love the new car and its running very well. But looking back at the service history provided to me by the dealership, it looks like the previous owner didn't have any of the TSBs looked into while under the 36k warranty, or past that. I am kind of glad I purchased the Toyota Platinum warranty with the car and would like to put it to use to make sure all TSBs are looked into and taken care of while under my extended warranty. I don't care if I have to fork up the $50 deductible...but I think it'd be good to get them all taken care of now rather than later.

What do you think is the best strategy for asking the dealership to take care of everything that hasn't been done yet? The water pump isn't making any noise, but if its under a warranty, might as well take care of it and the associated TSB.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a difference between a TSB and a SSC. Pls allow me to explain below.

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin and provides Toyota's guidance about how to fix a particular known problem. You don't need to worry about TSBs unless your car has a problem, then you can look at the list of TSBs to see whether any apply.

SSC is a Special Service Campaign and is aka "recall". In this case, Toyota wants all vehicles within the affected serial number range to be inspected and repaired as the SSC requires.

As you have a 2006 model, it is possible that some or no SSCs might apply to your car. When you visit your Toyota dealer's service dept, they can determine whether any SSCs are outstanding, and if so do the work for you. I know of an intermediate steering shaft problem, SSC 60C, which potentially might apply to your car if it was produced early in the 2006 model year.

If your coolant heat recovery pump is not making unusual noise, then there would be no cause to replace it.

3. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Much appreciated. Thanks for the explanation. One noise I do here is when I get in and out of the car. It sounds like there is an electric motor sound (not THE electric motor, but a small motor sound)...as if the car stability control is balancing things out when I get in the seat or otherwise. I wish I had a better description... I have no idea what noise it is.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is probably the brake pressure accumulator pump. You can force the pump to run when the car is READY. Repeatedly depress the brake pedal, and this will make the pump run.

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    or maybe the thermos bottle?

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any sound that happens consistently and is steady while it is occurring is probably one of the several normal sounds. If it goes up and down in pitch and/or volume, then probably not.

I'd say that the best strategy is to ask your favorite dealer what it would cost you now to address all the TSBs outstanding. Mine replaced the coolant transfer pump even though it was noisy only during cold weather and was not expected to manifest while the dealer had it.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The electric-motor noise you hear when you turn the car on or off is probably the pump that fills the coolant thermos when you shut the car off, and pumps it back into the system when you turn the car on. This helps to warm some do-dads in the engine, which reduces pollution. It is normal.

If your dealership is good, they should be willing to have a look at the car for free, and tell you if everything is normal, as well as if there are any outstanding recalls or if any TSBs apply.

Then if they want to do any work which is not free, you might want to come back here and post, and people much more knowledgeable than I about the car's innards can tell you if what the dealership wants to do sounds reasonable.