1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No warning sound from Prius when headlight left on

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Myrdx, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Myrdx

Myrdx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I own a 2013 PiP and my GF owns 2013 Prius 2. I noticed that both of our vehicles dont make any warning sound when we accidentally leave the head lights on. As a result my GF left her head lights on which resulted in battery drained and had to be jump started. Sure both of us should be aware when leave the head lights on when car is shut off but every vehicles I owned in the past made some sort of chime or buzzing noise when head light is left on with engine shut off except this vehicle. Strangely when DRL is left on it shuts off automatically when engine is turned off except head light. Is there a logical reason for this behavior on PiP or regular Prius?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just experienced that myself this morning. swmbo reminded me.:cool: sometimes, toyota makes inexplicable decisions.
    it's especially annoying here in ma, because we have a new law that requires lights on if wipers are on. but many times, there's a light intermittent rain and completely bright outside.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On my gen2 if you turn the headlights on while the car is in ON, they will turn off approx. 30 secs after turning the car off. IIRC, my 2010 did the same thing. I do this because neither had DRL's and I like to have something on.

If you turn the lights on while the car is either off (and maybe acc mode), then they stay on (no auto off). Yes, confusing.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it depends on the package? there might be an auto setting on pip base which should shut them off, not sure.

5. Myrdx

Myrdx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont get why since DRL shuts off automatically with day light sensor on the dash board. Head lights stays on until battery is completely drained with no chime or buzzing noise to warn the driver. That annoying reverse (backup) "ding ding" noise should be replaced for driver accidentally leaving the head light on. Really all I need is simple warning sound from the car when head light is on while engine is shut off. This feature was on every vehicles I owned since 1990 cheap or old. Toyota made Prius to be "green" or "save energy" but allows Prius owners to drain battery power when we forget to turn off the head lights. Strange logic.

#5 Myrdx, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As mentioned above, if the engine is running and the lights are on, the lights will go off shortly after you turn off the engine. If the lights are not going off under these conditions, you should have your car checked for problems.

However, if you turn the car is not running and you then turn on the lights (or manually turn them off and then back on or whatever when the car is not running), they will NOT turn off automatically. I suppose this is because how does the car know when you want them turned off, since you chose to turn them on manually without turning on the car. So if you turned them on while the car wasn't running, you are responsible for turning them off.

hope this helps -- Barbara

markabele, fuzzy1 and bisco like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also (on the Liftback, I have no experience in the PiP), if the driver exits through a passenger door or the hatch, without opening the driver door, the auto-off timer will not start. This will also drain the battery.

8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No more buzzers. Not for anything. They are annoying. I know my door is open because I can see it's open. I don't want a beep telling me that. Same with headlights.

They turn off automatically anyhow.

It's not a problem. People are programmable, so we should learn to turn things off ourselves if we don't want them on.