1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Way to Change MPH to KPH on New 2016 Model Three

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius44, Mar 14, 2016.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    A lot of drivers over here also seem to think the speed sign is indicating a target minimum speed, even when driving past hazards, such as children coming out of school etc.

pilotgrrl, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The original poster will never see this, but in hopes that someday he will I'd just like to say the following:

My teenage self would say to the original poster of this thread: "For real dude?"

My 20 something self would tell you that he lived in Germany for years and drove a Passat that had a speedo which didn't function from the day he bought it. And would still most likely say to you "For real dude?"

My 30 something self would tell you air conditioning is nice, it's when he got his first car with functioning A/C. (My 30's were pretty boring)

My 40'ish and current self would tell you - don't fret the stupid stuff. Use common sense that you should have accumulated over the years and drive accordingly.

FYI - Standing in the back of a pickup as a kid throwing pumpkins at mailboxes? - Now that's a safety hazard -. Fun, but a big safety hazard indeed.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  3. Locksmith

Locksmith Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Got pulled over in Washington State by the Highway Patrol a few years back on my motorcycle with a friend. The nice trooper was just advising us that in Wa state they ticket at 10mph over and warn at 9mph. We were at 9 and we got a nice picture with the police car in the background as a momento!

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I looked, I could have sworn you lived in Texas. However, I've never seen any LEOs pulling radar duty, although I suspect there are small towns here that have large revenue enhancement departments.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. pretty lenient. When/where I started driving, tickets happened at 5 mpg over. I still have relatives there. An in-law has the tickets to prove that the practice hasn't changed. And a blood relative who is now a magistrate, confirms that, and can recite a wide menu of out-of-region excuses from violators who feel special enough to be exempted. (Sorry, appeal denied.)

Tande and RCO like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you mean mph LOL
    Prius ticketed for more than 5 mpg over the limit. :D

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hawkeye strikes first again! :cool:

kithmo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. That is what I get for trying to shoehorn in a reply just before going off-grid for a while, without opportunity to review and edit or fix it..

RCO, kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Know what you mean. For the past 15 months I've been perfecting that exact skillset! :ROFLMAO:
    ProdigyPlace has a merit badge for correcting just my errors alone!!!

fuzzy1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. RWMeagher

RWMeagher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We are on our first road trip from California to British Columbia and have just discovered this speedometer defect in our car. We had a perfectly good 2005 Prius with 120,000 miles and no repairs except a new set of tires, a 12-volt battery and a headlight. We traded up for a 2016 Prius to get the newly-available collision avoidance safety features.

Adaptive cruise control has already saved me from a couple of near misses when I was checking rear and side mirrors to make a lane change and the vehicle ahead of me unexpectedly slowed. The navigation system's automatic speed limit information helps avoid tickets for going too fast in "speed traps," or upsetting other drivers by going too slowly when the speed limit increases. These safety features are difficult if not impossible to use if the speedometer cannot be recalibrated from mph to kph when crossing into Canada.

(We use an external TomTom GPS navigator which updates its maps for free every 3 mo, unlike the Prius nav system, and connects with my cell phone to update local traffic information and recalculate fastest routes once a minute, for free, unlike the Prius nav system. Fortunately, TomTom easily converts from miles to kilometers and can show our speed and the current speed limit in kilometers -- so we are not driving blind on this trip, in spite of Toyota’s screw up.)

11. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on when it was built. Mine was built mid-March 2016 and can't change MPH to km/h. Toyota corrected it on Prii built later in 2016, but no fix available for us, AFAIK.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or Toyota could, do a recall, pop in a button, per 3rd gen?

upload_2018-2-14_16-56-35.png

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Prius Team seemed to imply there were hardware differences.Since they are Toyota Prius marketing, they would likely know more than us.

RCO likes this.
  15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are hardware differences. The MPH/km/h space in the MFD isn't there, the dash would probably need to be removed to replace that. Also probably other hardware, but I don't know what that would be.

I took a picture of my dash, it's in the other thread about this.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. Greatmouse

Greatmouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is my experience with the Toyota dealer, financial services and the US support team.

I needed to relocate from US to Canada and at that time I had the 2016 Prius (manufactured in Jan) leased. I was advised both by the dealer and Toyota financial services that I should purchase the car early and export to Canada. Of cause, I did not know that the car lacks the critical function of displaying kmh even the manual clearly said it could. So I bought the car, drove from coast to coast and exported it out of the US.

I was at the last step of importation to Canada, I realized that it cannot pass inspection due to the speedometer problem. I contacted Toyota US, and was told that there was no way to fix it. That leaves me the only option of selling it back to the US, an option would cost me thousands of dollars and at least a week of my personal time.

This is clearly a LIE. Apparently, replacing the instrument cluster solved the problem. That was a hard fact that I found out after two months of painful investigating on my end.

I do not understand why the support team told me there is no fix when there is clearly one. It is like the doctors' fake advice to the patients who have no technical knowledge at all.

I am writing here to advise those who had the same experience. There is a fix. Also, Toyota should be responsible for the defect in the beginning. The Toyota support team should be responsible for giving out false information.

RCO, FF/Medic, krmcg and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Sorry for answering such a old thread, but has anyone tried replacing whole cluster to see if it's gonna change anything?

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody here from Toyota corporate indicated that would be needed. I would expect some different software would be needed to have the option on the MID to actually change the units.

19. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does it mean that just cluster alone would not suffice? Would it even work? I have 2016 prius (how do I check production date? Feb is indicated as order) and Im afraid this problem is still ahead of me:(

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US, the production month and year is listed on a sticker ion the pillar when you open the driver's door.