1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No winter start below 28 deg

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 2002prius, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 2002prius

2002prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2002 Prius wont start if the temperature is below 28deg. The dealer doesn't seem to have any idea why. They replaced the battery but it didn't make any difference.

Nothing happens when I turn the key.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea but maybe your big hybrid battery is getting weak if it's orig. I assume the 12v was replaced.
    Cold temps reduce output from batteries. You could try various appoaches to keep car warmer (engine block heater etc).

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you will report your own post and ask it to be moved to the Gen 1 forum, you will find more informed readers than in a Prius c forum.
    Generation 1 Prius Discussion | PriusChat

No one has any idea why they hide the Gen 1 forum, but they do.

Biking Maniac and C Clay like this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • Does the dome light illuminate when the door is open in the cold?
    • Does turning on the headlights show beams?
    • Do the headlights change intensity turning on the ignition?
    Before going down the technical rabbit hole, perhaps you might share some of your background? You might also take a quick read of the sticky. We're going to help but we kinda need to know what resources you bring to the party . . . not to talk down but to address what we need to know and explain it so it makes sense.

Bob Wilson

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say "nothing happens", does that mean the instrument panel remains dark? You need to be as clear as possible about which systems still work and which do not work.

As Bob asked, when you first enter the car, how bright is the overhead cabin lighting?
    Can the headlights be turned on? How bright are they?
    Then, when you turn the key from IG-OFF to ACC-ON, will the radio turn on?
    When you turn the key from ACC-ON to IG-ON, do all dashboard warning lights appear? Can you raise and lower the power windows?
    When you turn the key from IG-ON to START, what then happens?

Intermittent problems can be very difficult to figure out. In this case the car needs to be left out in freezing weather and someone (who doesn't mind being in the cold for an extended period) needs to figure out the issues and determine the root cause.

Depending upon the symptoms that are present, the issue could be a stuck relay. It could be a fuel pump that is frozen and refuses to run. Or it could be a bad ignition switch.

C Clay likes this.