1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nobel Laureate Comes Out of the Nazi Closet...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Aug 15, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 16 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]304482[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, The Tin Drum was specifically called out in the article so that's the one I'm going to read. Oh, wait a minute, that's not the same as Bang the Drum Slowly, is it? Well shoot!

And Squid, I'm not sure where to begin addressing the "wrongness" of your post. There was a time - a few South Park episodes and several Mel Brooks movies ago - when people would have found it more funny than uncomfortable. Perhaps that's why I love Mel Brooks.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 15 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]303859[/snapback]</div>
    Do you own the rights to that sunset, Squid?

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 17 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]304627[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's in interesting question... The way it's worded, I'm not sure if you mean, "literally" own the "rights" to the actual event of "sunset", in some mocking way, which obviously, I do not. Now, if you're talking about the rights to that photo, since I took it, I suppose there may be some "default" rights of mine to it, can't say I'm sure, I don't really know, nor do I really care. FWIW, I generally don't buy any artwork, I don't want other people's stuff on my walls, rather things I've done, or pictures I've taken (the vast majority) I think are cool. B)

Pictures I take and post up are for all to enjoy, I care not about any copyright issues with respect to my stuff.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 17 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]304627[/snapback]</div>
    Oh help us if Squid finds a way to charge people to witnessing "his" sunset. He'll really rack up the big bucks with NASA since the astronauts witness a sunset every 90 minutes or so.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, Squid. People will illegally record the event and then sell sunsets on the black market. Before you can say "solar eclipse" you'll find them on file-share servers, people will be linking to them on MySpace, and some grass-roots company will be mocking you in Flash with a catchy little tune. Besides, you'd have to figure out how to get that pesky ® symbol to stay in a tight orbit without burning up.

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 17 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]304667[/snapback]</div>
    No, it most definitely isn't worth it. That's not the reason I don't care though... Quite simply I don't want to be bothered with the issue in the first place, and I'm all for people enjoying my stuff for FREE. If I had a band, I'd be encouraging *illegal* downloads of my music too...

I really, really, don't give a damn. The pictures were taken for MY enjoyment first and foremost, they are FREE TO ALL! :D

Those that charge for their pics., and make a big fuss about copywriting issues, I pass right right over, and usually think, "Wow, what an a-hole...". Generally anway...

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]304004[/snapback]</div>
    Iron Maiden too?!? I thought it was just a Judas Priest thing. :lol:

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HAAAA HA HA HA!!! :lol:

You are so right. I wasn't a fan of that musical genre personally so it doesn't surprise me that I got them comfused. I just liked the example that there are people, even hard-core heavy metal fans, who are willing to accept an artist based exclusively on his body work.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 17 2006, 07:18 AM) [snapback]304634[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I meant literally. Since you admit that you do not own the rights to the sunset itself, posting an illegal copy of it (your photo -- and I assume also you don't have the written permission from the actual owner) is an act of piracy and you risk a lawsuit by the actual owner (whoever that may be: god, or the FSM, or Allah, or Buddha, or whoever) against Danny, and wind up getting the whole site shut down, all because of your thoughtless prank (posting, that is, a pirated copy of a sunset to which you do not own the rights.)

Of course, if the lawful owner of the sunset is the FSM, we have nothing to worry about, because he's a pretty laid-back sort of deity.

Hey! I just realized: this could be what the world has been waiting half a million years for: since we all know that the god of the OT and the NT is jealous (the OT says so!) and the FSM is not (the Gospel of the FSM says so) Squid's picture could settle once and for all which one is real: If god sues Danny over that picture, we'll know the FSM is a fake. But if he does not, we'll know that god is a fake and the FSM is the real Creator of Everything.

Wow! We can but sit back and wait.

I may have to wait a couple of weeks to find out. I'll take this opportunity to announce that I'm going back to Canada for more hiking in the mountains. I'll be back in a week or maybe two (if all goes well and the weather is nice, I may stay an extra week. Otherwise I may be back in a week.)

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just as long as we all remember the answer is 42...

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Why ask him about the sunset?

Oh, because I am sure you figured that the Hilter picture was passed down through the Squid clan...as part of their family collection. No Copyright needed on that one.

Squid, once again you have to go over the top, posting a picture like that.

If you want all of us to think you are witty and intelligent, which you probably are...why not use that power for good?

Squid is hardly a good name for you, as it does not fit your personality. Now if you called yourself Mystery Monkey (cause they like to sit above in the tree throw their poop at people)...you would have a better fit. :D

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Aug 18 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]305123[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, you ain't seen NOTHIN' YET... :ph34r: I'm actually pretty tame on here, because there is a neat group of people here, but TRUST ME, I tone it WAAAAY down for this forum... I've been on forums where epic photoshop wars have taken place that would likely give you nightmares, or would most assuredly have you sending an e-mail to the local police... :lol: You seem like a wholesome type, perhaps that's a good thing...

Wth??? "power for good"? I'm sorry, but you're waaaay too wholesome to understand this flavor of evil... :D Just out of curiosity, do you drink a lot of milk? :ph34r:

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since this topic has laready taken many turns and gone wayyyy off topic, I'll just keep going. . .

IF Squid had ominpotence, I'm sure it would take the inevitable "Groundhog's Day" pattern. Admit it Squid, you would use your powers for pure evil and self-indulgence but even you would find that boring. In time even the Squid would find more gratification in using the powers to serve the greater good.

Personally, I would mix the two and split the difference. Some say it's wrong to kill people and other's say that certain dictators and tyranical rulers should be out-right killed. But then I'd have to find something for day 2. . .

13. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Trust me Squid, I was born and raised in Southern California. Not exactly wholesome central.

However, here people actually have things to do with their time...mostly because the weather is always nice.

We don't spend time hunkered down on our computers trying to figure out how to push people's buttons. The internet is fun and great but it is not real life.

Somehow I have developed a picture of you....

By day - You use to work as a Customer service rep for a bunch of complaining customers and bosses who mistreated you...now you own your own business and no one can tell you what to do

By night - Mystery Squid, with cutting edge wit, and endless time on your hands to "interact" with your "friends" on the forums

Suggesting you use your energy to develop good creative ideas instead of to create tension and trouble is hardly wholesome...just smart...as you know you could be good at that as well!

Hope you take the "picture of you" in jest...