1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise after engine swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Muhammad Abid, May 24, 2023.

1. Muhammad Abid

Muhammad Abid New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I did a an engine swap myself. No light on the dashboard shows up but the engine has Vibration which is making a sound.

I can't add the link to my YouTube short here. But if you search up "Toyota Prius 2009 Gen 2 Engine Noise. Noise after engine swap. What is this?" on YouTube, you will find it. It's posted by MuhammadAbid7857.

Please help diagnose this issue. I asked a mechanic and he said it might be due to bad spark plugs.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well you might want to post the link I can't imagine going to looking for that You want to make sure that there's no loose components like air conditioning hoses twanging things like that I don't know what your sound is but the one NZ is a pretty reliable setup that doesn't make a whole lot of racket generally ever so not sure what you have going on. I mean I'm hoping you're replacement engine is better than the one you took out who knows

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 dolj, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That sound is "fast" - at crankshaft speed. First guess is crankshaft or rod hitting the oil pan. Next guess is a broken piston skirt. Possibly something on the damper hitting something else in the trans bellhousing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I hear it now on that link get down near the oil pan with your ears roll the car up on ramps jack it up stands under it have someone else start it or start it You don't want to be leaving this thing running too much start it listen to it at the top and then as you move your way down the front of the car to lay on the ground does it sound start to get a lot louder and then put your hand on the oil pan You feel that tapping down there on the pan the sides of the block etc You're getting real close now you can get your mechanic stethoscope out or long screwdriver and use as a stethoscope and as you get closer and closer to the noise you'll hear it get a little louder and a little clackier as you get close to it Good luck buddy this is really pretty rare for the NZ engine.