1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise cancelling ear buds -- winnner!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 21, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had been trying to use ordinary ear buds to 'mute' the office noise without a lot of luck. It was worse at a local bar where they had 'entertainment.' So my audio-technica, ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint arrived and other than a dead battery, wonderful.

Their specs claim a 20 dB noice reduction and turning it on, my office fan 'disappeared.'

The problem with ordinary buds is to block out the surrounding noise, you turn the volume up. Then it hurts your ears and the noise still comes through. But noise canceling actively turns off the outside world so the volume can be significantly lower.

Very happy,
    Bob Wilson

RCO and bisco like this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm.
    Interesting.

I might have to give them a tumble!

I wear earbuds probably 10 hours a day almost every day.
    Telco equipment rooms are usually pretty noisy and I have to clear troubles with remote testers frequently, so needless to say earbuds are a topic near and dear to my heart.
    When I'm not on the phone I'm either listening to a podcast or an audiobook.
    I've looked and looked but I haven't found a single set of wireless units that have been worth a crap (for under $150) and the last thing I need in the world is another device that requires charging, so I treat earbuds like I do reading glasses.
    Buy them fairly cheap, but stay away from the dollar brands.
    Repeat as necessary following loss or breakage.
    On the rare times that I listen to music, Bluetooth has always left me disappointed either in audio quality or mic performance for when I have to use my phone as a phone.

While I was shopping with my beloved CFO the other day I noticed that they had JVC Gumys on the discount rack for 6 bucks with a mic.
    Those are the ones that come in Ford Fiesta inspired colors and look like they shouldn't be worn after Jr. High school.
    You'll never find the black ones in the discount places (I had a choice of mint blue or pink.)
    upload_2016-9-21_9-32-21.jpeg
    I bought a pair for yard work and I immediately noticed that they actually sound pretty dang good.
    Surprisingly good for 7 dollar buds!
    I then noticed after four trips up and down my front lawn with the lawnmower that I hadn't bothered to place my ear muffs over my ears!!
    These little guys aren't noise rated, but they seem to block out noise about 75 percent as well as the 29dB muffs that I usually wear to protect my fragile hearing.
    When I'm in my office I can listen to a podcast with the volume at 10-15 percent.

Something to think about as a backup.... ;)

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My first attempt 10 years ago was a set of 'range protectors' that I put in some disk headphone elements. It worked and did not require batteries. But they got a little warm in the office and made me look like an 'active shooter' suspect which the ear muffs kept me from becoming (stuff you don't want to hear at work!)

Bob Wilson

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read about noise canceling earbuds that also acted as hearing aids, now that's something i could use.

RCO likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh?

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

RCO likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After more experience, I noticed the noise canceling has a narrow 'pass band'. It is excellent for high frequency and low frequency but seems to have a narrow pass in the voice range. It means I don't have to take them out when talking with the bar tender. Sad to say, the other day a chatty, young lady and her friend 'defeated' my noise canceling ear buds. But another seat 2-3 meters away opened up and I moved.

When I head to a bar, I grab reading glasses and hang the noise canceling ear buds from my pocket. By the time I get there, the tangles are gone and I'm good to go. I have to admit wonder at the attraction of loud music at local bars.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The young folk are desperate to get the hearing loss we spent years developing for ourselves! ;):eek:

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just turn off, or remove my hearing trumpets... :ROFLMAO:

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my favorite is weddings. you sit at a table of 10, for hours, with the music so loud you can't converse. s suppose they want you on the dance floor, but i usually wind up in a hallway chatting with other dance averse folk.

milkman44, RCO and DonDNH like this.
  11. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    bisco likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [Speaking generically about control systems, not specific to these particular products] The quieting comes from two different methods -- passive (mechanical) filtering, and active electrical cancellation. The former functions best at high frequencies, declining in performance at the low end. The later works best at low frequencies, and would be expected to decline at about 20dB/decade as frequency increases. The 'passband' you notice is likely the crossover region of least noise rejection.

On top of that, the active cancellation works best on constant steady-state droning noise. While human speech may be droning in a psychological sense, it is not at all constant or steady-state in the physical sense to which the device responds.

RCO and Robert Holt like this.
  13. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I forget the brand, but there is a nice $12 ear plug that has a little metal filter thing in it. They work quite well to make all sounds quieter without making things sound muffled. (they attempt to decrease sound evenly across all frequencies, same goal as the Westone's).

While not strictly speaking 'noise canceling', I find them pretty pleasing, and they're much cheaper than other solutions.
    They're tiny (vs noise canceling headphones that some people use), and not a huge expense if lost.

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For those of us that wear hearing aids, try finding a decent set of headphones!

Ear buds are all the rage, but I already have something in my ears!

milkman44 and RCO like this.
  15. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't understand.
    What's the problem ?

16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern hearing aids sit over or in the ear canal and amplify the frequencies that are not heard very well. With headphones, the deaf person can keep the hearing aids in and still hear music etc from the audio source. Taking the hearing aid out would reduce the quality of the audio.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Right, so keep them in and get a good set of headphones.
    Or do hearing aids make the audio in headphones too eq'd ?

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I keep spare reading glasses and the noise canceling ear buds in the car but we have two cars. So I picked up used, Bose QC20 Noise Canceling head phones on eBay, item: 222446775544, $169.80.

About four times to price of the first, with one minor change, they turned out to be great:
    • volume control works with iPhone - so I can also use it for remote shutter control
    • microphone - made a perfectly clear call home
    • mode switch - between noise canceling and clear
    • integral rechargeable battery - offers 16 hours charged via USB
    The only problem were the rubber pieces that fit in the ear. Even their smallest were too large so I bought a 3d party set at Best Buy and the problem solved.

Is it worth $170? Well it is better integrated with the iPhone. The other pair have an analog volume control which can not operate the shutter. Either one works perfectly fine as a noise canceling ear buds although the Bose is better about blocking the mid-range frequencies.

Bob Wilson

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another pet peeve of mine.
    I really don't think it's myself getting older. But it seems not just local bars...but everything is getting louder. I don't even know how the younger generation really socializes unless they are texting each other while sitting in most environments because just about everywhere you go, everything is ear drum busting loud.

When I was a kid, my Dad and I would go to basketball games. I learned a lot about the game, as he would point things out to me during timeouts and at 1/2 time.
    Today?
    Even if the crowd is actually subdued, they pipe in so much music at such high volume there is no chance to really talk to anyone, even seated right next to you.

Seems more and more places I go, seem to think the best environment is one in which nobody can talk to each other, because the volume of everything around them has to be so loud.

I'm really not Anti-Volume. But I don't see why it has to be loud everywhere, all the time.