1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise Control (Sound Vibration Damping)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gwest, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I finish the rear section. Im hopeing that this was the tough section. I had to deal with the spare tire area and the wheel well and the dreaded Traction battery. @ first I was planning on working around the battery but after going this far i figured I better get the under side of the battery. It was no big deal.
    So this is the under trunk aera
    [​IMG]
    This is the Un treated section under the passenger seets
    [​IMG]
    Here is what it looks like finished. Sorry I didnt snap any picks with the traction battery pulled up and the material under it.
    [​IMG]
    I tryed to save material by using what ever scrap's to put together this section that why you see so many joint's. The joints were overlapped and then coverd with duct tape.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will attack the rest of the car this week. The driver and passenger seats are gonna be easy. Im wondering what the center tray is gonna be like and how far into the dash Im gonna have to go into to get the floor all free of stuff in my way. Can anyone point me to a thread where someone has pulled apart the dash so I can get a preview of what's ahead. I have to say this is the Easyest car to pull apart and put back together. I bet I could strip the entire inside of the car in under 20 min's. There is very few bolts holding it all together. It must take the factory such a short time to put one together

3. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really nice job there. :hail:
    I wish I can do the same in the near future.

4. synq

synq White, black, red

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pictures. Did you manage to stay within your 4 hour estimate for doing it all?

5. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 4 Hr estimate was a bit off by a few hrs.More like 6-8 hrs total.
    This section of the car was hard because nothing was flat. You couldnt lay anything with out having to cut and fit it. I know the cabin floor will go much faster. The only tricky part I see is getting the material as far up the fire wall. I want to try and block as much noise coming from the motor into the car

6. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, can't wait to see how quiet it is.

7. synq

synq White, black, red

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, 8 hours is still doable. Can't wait to see pics of the cabin floor. Please take a picture with all the seats out. :)

8. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "take a picture with all the seats out"

I plan on doing that. Im gonna do the floor with as large piece as I can.

9. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gwest: Your final mod should be to put a Lexus badge on it. because your Prius is going to be as quiet as one :)

10. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you notice or measure any difference in road noise with the rear cargo area done? Seems like this would have less effect than the doors...curious what your findings are...

11. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Did you notice or measure any difference in road noise with the rear cargo area done"

I would like to say Yea Huge diff but I cant, Yes it did go down a bit but not as much as I would have thought. Remember the job is only 1/2 way done and Im saving the best for last.;) Ill tell you the sound floor in the car is dropping because now I can hear thing's I used to never hear. LIKE the passenger seat belt moving on the passenger seat. Everything in the center arm rest ect. As a driver I feel like most of the sound is comming up from the fire wall and under my feet. You can best hear this when your car transfers onto a bad or rough section of freeway. The vibration the tires transfer threw the sheet metal and into the car make the sound floor just spike And like I said I fee like most of that sound is comming from the drivers and passenger side floor boards.

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, bang for the buck, best to do the front floorboards?

13. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great to see someone doing this in a 2010. I did a bit in my 2007 with a whole variety of products (Cascade, SecondSkin, eDead). You certainly did well going with Cascade - and thanks for supporting an Oregon company! I've exchanged some emails with Paul too, great guy.
    Looking at your install of the MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) I'm amazed you were able to get things back together. I didn't do the spare tire area because I didn't think the spare would squeeze back in! Under the rear seat too, I figured the seat cushion itself was enough of a barrier and that there wasn't enough clearance anyway.
    Looking good so far. How much weight do you think you've added at this point?

- D

14. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't bother putting CCF (closed cell foam) in the doors. More trouble than it's worth. I can't restate it better than two respected experts have, so I'll just refer you (and anyone else) here:

Don't Believe the Hype.Sound Deadening Fables
    Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

Hope that helps!

- D

15. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "So, bang for the buck, best to do the front floorboards?"
    I cant say for sure. The experts have told me that sound migrates to the spots where the floor is un treated. Like gaps or seams. Its important to overlap and tape the material together. It seems the way the interior of the car is shaped Im guessing if you just did the front floor boards the trunk would be the spot you would be hearing. I think this project is all in or forget about it.

Im planning on doing the rest of the car today. Im pretty stoked to hear the change. At this point im pretty sure the DB meter is going to show a good drop in DB.

16. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok I took a Time out to up load some pick's. I thought the floor would be some what clean and free of thing's to work around I was wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Woops I didn't take a picture of the floor b4 I took off all the electronics. The picture above is after clear'd the floor to start install the Damping.

Cant Wait till I have to take the car to the dealer and have them freak out because I have installed the sound blanket

18. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a Pick off all the stuff that normaly mounted on the center coloum hump. I have it peeled back and resting on the dash[​IMG]

19. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a pick of the floor coverd 100% with V-block. Next step will be to install some interior pieces and install the sound blanket material. The small pieces of blue tape are markers to remind me where to cut holes for threw the sound blanket
    [​IMG]

20. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took the stock sound control out and made replacment ones. They were kind of like drop in floor mats
    [​IMG]
    You can see how pass side was done
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.