1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from engine 2ZRFXE

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nima EB, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Nima EB

Nima EB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I own a Prius 2014 model engine code 2ZRFXE. KM 52.000, in a great condition. toyota oil (0W20) and high quality fuel being used all the time. Oil and filters changed last time in May 2022.
    In recent months, I hear a rattling noise (like Zzzzzzzzzzzzz) form engine (right side) while accelerating. no noise driving EV. It is worse driving ECO mode and uphill. The noise is in direct connection with gas pedal. It disappears with releasing the gas pedal. The noise weakens changing to POWER mode and higher RPM.
    oil looks good and not milkish.
    The car was checked by a toyota dealer and no fail code. I really appreciate if someone can help!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pull the plugs quickly and have a look and see if you have coolant droplets on your plugs by the time the computer senses the head gasket failure the engine's almost shot you may want to take a look early

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    52,000 km would be unusually early for head gasket issues. Is the engine coolant level stable or dropping?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never underestimate how annoying a buzzy noise you can get from a loose heat shield somewhere.