1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from engine area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DigDoug, Jan 30, 2017.

1. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, I apologize for asking about this but here goes. Since my last service during which I was told that I needed "about a cup" of coolant and "about a cup" of brake fluid I have noticed when I start the car that there is a constant humming from the driver's side of the engine. I also have noticed after driving for a while at highway speeds that from the same area it sounds as if I have something winding down in the driver's side front end. My other question is that the coolant looks to be not quite full. Can I just use coolant from the local Advanced Auto or do I need to have the dealer take a look see? Thanks for the assistance.

2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many is normal at your cooling pump storing the hot water

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's three places cooling can go one on the pop one by the radiator and one under the cover on top of the radiator

4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The noise is normal

5. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am unsure what you mean here, the location I am talking about it the one you can see with the hood open just to the right of center all the way back towards the windshield

6. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That one other two are next to the grill on left look down hole the other one even closer under the black cover

7. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok the two I checked are both dangerously low, I will be going to my local Toyota Dealer tomorrow to get some coolant. My next question is, do I need to purchase two different coolants? I know at my last service on December 8, 2016 they did a R2T Chemical Flush Cooling System and before this the car when sitting was perfectly quiet, since this I have noticed the hum and the other problems. I will also be calling the dealer to complain about this sub par service. Very upset am I right now mainly because I am not sure how much potential damage I could have done by not checking the system earlier and the cost of the services rendered.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chemical flush? i think you should avoid that dealer. use toyota coolant, recommended for whichever coolant loop you're topping up.
    how many miles on her? are you following the toyota recommended service in your manual?

9. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage is 103737 I see they also replaced the Inverter fluid also at a cost of $81 The Chemical Flush Cooling System was $64.94 with an additional cost of $26.70 for a RAD FLSH Kit. The question I have is this is the place where I bought the car back in July, there is a Toyota dealer closer to us but I have heard horror stories about the service department there. I can say the one reservoir looks to have some kind of pink stuff in it while I cannot see anything in the radiator reservoir.

10. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK I am thinking the Inverter coolant is the one on the right hand side and it is low also.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from what i've read, iirc, the engine coolant should be checked by removing the plastic cowling and opening the radiator cap, cold! do not trust the reservoir level. the inverter coolant reservoir level should be between the marks.

12. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do I understand that you bought the car at a non-Toyota used car dealer? You took it to them for coolant system service? And you're avoiding the Toyota dealer? Things are a little confusing above.

There are two cooling systems, they both take the same coolant, and they both should be changed (not flushed) at the same time. This is one of the few things a Prius-specific mechanic with the proper tools and procedures should do, and even they make mistakes at times. If the engine coolant was changed by someone not at all familiar with a Prius, get it checked and fixed by the right person soon. There is a complicated bleeding procedure. If not done right, engine and inverter damage can result.

Use of directions above is also confusing. Generally in the US the driver's side is always referred to as the left side, even when looking at the engine compartment from the front. It's less confusing to use the terms driver's side and passenger side, not left and right.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you qualified your statement with "Generally in the US", but this an international forum and there are members with RHD vehicles that participate, so it is actually less confusing to refer to left and right, with the understanding that it is as related to the driver sitting in the drivers seat looking forward, even when standing in front of the engine looking back (as you said). This last bit is a bit counter-intuitive, when you're not used to it.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  15. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    definitely you need to check the radiator level asap cold. then fill the radiator to the top, and both reservoirs to the fill lines with Toyota super long life coolant (SLLC). That should take care of it. THEN, after you drive some and it cools off, recheck everything to make sure its still full. next, get a strong flashlight and look all around the engine and radiator for white or pink residue and coolant drips. best to get underneath it and look. if you don't have anything better, you can drive the rh wheels up on a tall curb so you can slide under. while your looking, check your oil level and look at your serpentine drive belt for cracks or damage. if you see anything that concerns you, take some pix and post em here with any questions.

18. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I apologize for the confusion, I did purchase my car at a Toyota dealership and to the best of my knowledge they have been the only one's under the hood since then. That is what I'm concerned about, they claimed to do a chemical flush of the cooling system AND if that is not necessary then I will have to ask them why.

19. DigDoug

DigDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wanted to let you know that I checked the car for leaks and other than a small amount of residues beneath the inverter container I don't see anything. I think you allowed for the help. I am sure I will have more stupid questions as this progresses

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The G2 is very easy on the engine coolant but very hard on the Inverter coolant. The engine coolant is very hard to drain completely and refill without causing an airlock. This is because of the extra thermos called the Coolant heat Recovery System that stores hot coolant so the car acquires engine temp faster upon re-start. This is deleted in European G2's. faster the engine requires running temp helps emissions and saves gas. But the CHRS is a real pain to deal with. The pump has to be manually run to circulate the airlock but jumping out its motor relay.
    The CHRS thermos is located deep down behind the drivers side headlight right behind the bumper.

Best way to deal with the rad coolant is just dump the rad a few times. Open the petcock and dump it and then fill it up. This will replace a large portion of coolant without invoking an airlock. Thats what I have done since 30,000 miles.

The Inverter coolant is subjected to exposure of a large cross section of aluminum for heat sinking in the Inverter itself. That raw aluminum contaminates the fluid. There's some cool photos on youtube of Inverter heat sink cut aways. Brilliant engineering the Japanese.

It really helps to dump that initial Inverter coolant at say 30,000 as the initial ear in leeching will be over from on. The aluminum contamination will be much less from then on. I believe its the main reason why the pumps failed as aluminum contaminated fluid will be very abrasive going thorough a pump.
    That fluid is just dumped by opening a bolt on the bottom of the transmission. Refilled and bled. There's petcock in front of the inverter underneath that plastic rad cover. Its very easy and drama free unlike a full engine coolant dump.

Btw, the fact that the Inverter coolant pump was replaced under warranty does not mean it has new coolant. They duckbill pliar off the hoses and slide in the pump with minimal fluid lost.

You should see an instant increase of mileage with fresh coolant in the Inverter. The invwerter is the heart and soul of the car and demands at least basic maintenance.