1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lpf, Oct 5, 2020.

1. lpf

lpf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noticed a spinning sound from the engine compartment, only above 80km/h and only when I'm turning left. Maybe at lower speeds is not audible. I'm thinking of ball bearing or axle. Any ideas?

2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    It's likely a hub. I had a humming sound when turning left over 40MPH (70km/h) and I assumed it was the right wheel hub. I replaced the right, then I replaced the left because the noise didn't go away, and that fixed it. The usual suggestion is that turning left it would be the right one which is taking the car's weight on the outside of the curve, but it may be the left one. Try to listen closely for which side you hear it on, or you can just replace both hubs.

SFO likes this.
  3. lpf

lpf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I will check and then go for replacing both.

4. lpf

lpf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a thought. Can't ball bearings be replaced alone?

5. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not on the Prius. They're an integrated "Generation 3" hub assembly. The bearing could theoretically possibly be pressed out of the hub, but you'd risk extremely early failure on the new ones because of the design of the hub, and the ABS speed sensor might not work properly.

Here's a link to Timken's website explaining this type of hub.
    Generation 3 Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly | The Timken Company

Even integrated hubs are between $30 and $100 from Detroit Axle or RockAuto, which has SKF and Timkens for around $100 or so, if you only like name-brand parts. Detroit Axle's like $30 or $35, and they are a name brand, but of course many might say you get what you pay for. I personally used a Detroit Axle hub for one of mine (the other needed a new part that day so I had to buy an outrageously expensive Duralast locally.)

I assume though that you're planning on having them replaced professionally?

lpf likes this.
  6. lpf

lpf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As soon as the noises gets harder I will, at the usual Toyota dealership.