1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise in Dash...Arrghh!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by texassalsa04, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i had a rattle that i could no identify for a while. I would move my head around in the cabin while driving to pinpoin the source and finally I found it. I originally thought it was coming from the dash, but it was actually coming from the rear view mirror!

upon grasping the rear view mirror, the rattle stopped! i slightly adjusted the rear view mirror and the noise did not come back...for a while. Then on a bumpier road, the noise came back and when i grasped the rear view mirror it immediately stopped. I don't have a permanent solution, but for now just readjusting makes the rattle go away.

2. CHART

CHART Member

Thank goodness it isn't just me. My rear-view mirror developed a "creaking" sound that I notice most in the mornings when I'm driving to work. Grabbing the mirror on the top and bottom and squeezing slightly makes it stop...for a while. I haven't looked very closely. Are there any screws on the back side?

3. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

I have the exact same issue chart. I'll have to see if there are screws. i doubt it, it probably is two pieces that snap together. for now at least i'm glad i found the noise and can stop it temporarily

4. jmdor

jmdor New Member

I had to get the dealer to replace the rearview mirror (which fixed that rattle), but now I have a new one that sounds like John's mirror issue.

Do all cars develop rattles, or is Toyota just a cheap manufacturer? This is getting annoying...

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's probably due more to the high level of hard plastics in the car than manufacturing. Hard plastic just seems more prone to develop gaps and rattles than other materials.

6. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmdor @ Apr 4 2005, 10:10 AM) [snapback]78392[/snapback]</div>
    Just wanted to add I had that mirror rattle too and it was only fixed with a replacement last year. But the dashboard rattle persists. I finally got so ticked off I took the dash out again this week for 4th and 5th time myself and 3 times for the dealer. It really sucks because I just can't seem to come up with a fix but I know it coming from the display and dash interface. I can duplicate it by rapping on the dash and deaden it by touching the left side of the display. It started with the gas tank/gage fix the dealer did and it's been rattling now for over a year. I've started to really dislike this car a lot for this and other reasons (handling). I think a trade is coming soon before it drives me nuts, lol.

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rattles used to drive me crazy but overall the Prius is relatively tight. The dashboard design certainly must contribute to the development of rattles. I really don't care since the radio drowns out any ambient noise. BTW.. I had my doors dynamatted. Makes a nice difference.

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is an old thread, but...
    About 5,000 miles ago I started hearing a rattling noise coming from the dashboard area, presently 33,000 on the car. It was on and off...increasingly becoming more regular and it started driving me nuts! Had to put the radio on loud, but that was not solving the problem. The car is a 2007 and this should not be my problem, but Toyota's.
    I read this thread and decided to take it to the dealer today. I knew it was not some loose change in the glovebox or the cupholders because as I drove the car, and when the rattling started, I applied pressure on the dashboard...it stopped....released pressure....it rattled again.
    They installed a "Noise Kit" #08231-008010, they described it as "insulation". They said that it was loose and with this insulation it will have a tighter fit.
    I must say...it did the trick. No bumps in the road, not even the railroad tracks made that dashboard rattle. I should have done this 5,000 miles ago.

9. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh no! I spoke too soon.
    What I can't understand is that from the dealer to home, 12 miles, the dashboard did not rattle/vibrate. I thought it was fixed!
    That evening...I got on I-84 (on my 180 mile round trip) and it started rattling again. Once again, I applied pressure and it stopped. I lifted my hand off the dashboard, and it rattled again. After awhile, I could not take it anymore, the radio goes on, very loud. It rattled the whole trip.
    Yesterday morning, a 10 mile trip, it rattled. Yesterday afternoon, a 20 mile trip, same road, no rattle. Yesterday evening another 20 mile trip, it rattled again.
    I called up the dealer and made another appt. I am just worried that the day I have the appt., they will not find the rattling noise, since they think they fixed it.