1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise when force charging, also Overcharging battery? GEN 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brandon Kennedy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I always set my insight at 40 to 45 psi, got several mpg higher, thought bout doing it with the prius just havnt yet. Cant be any worse than the ride quality I had before. Plan on getting a lifetime alignment for it, thatll probably help some, its steering wheel is alittle off when driving straight

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen this - interesting viewing?

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Somebody has to live there I suppose. :p

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have, I've watched a lot of his videos. Very informative for sure!

New update on the noise. I was driving home last night and realized the car is making the noise while driving also, but only when I get into the power band (in eco mode).

Even though I dont want to hold the brake and gas at the same time, I'm thinking of having someone do it while I'm under the hood to see if theres anything out of place or if its internal. Maybe not full throttle, but enough until the rattle starts. Either way I'd end up having to show it to the dealership to diagnose. It does sound like it's coming from the driver side which would be where the transaxle is. Scary situation indeed. :(

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be telling them that you used accelerator and brake together - though it's probably recorded in the Event Data Recorder and the Vehicle Data recorder.

CooCooCaChoo likes this.
  6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, you might've shot yourself in the foot when you did that. However, when hard on the throttle, the engine does have VVT, so it might just be that kicking in. VVT does make the ICE louder.

kithmo likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what to tell you on the rattle. Having a listen while you're under the hood isn't a bad idea though. You might find something obvious.

On the battery life, the jury's still out on lithium longevity. Almost none have died, so we don't have much history to go on yet. But what's the worst that could happen? By the time you'd have to replace that battery, prices will hopefully have gone down like the NiMH ones recently did. Even so, they last so long, I don't think that it's all that much per mile, although I've not yet seen any lithium battery prices.

#27 jerrymildred, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They maybe checked/set the tire pressures when the car first came in, hot, then rotated the tires front to back lol.

Don't go there; it'll aggravate any rattles, and I really think it can accelerate wheel bearing and suspension failures. My logic, go just a pound or three above spec, can't do much harm, and gives you a little buffer, when pressures gradually drop. I'm more inclined to go over with our 15" snow tires, than the 17" (low profile) OEM tires. The latter ride rough even at their (lower) spec pressures.

Professor Kelly does a deep-dive inspection of Prime battery, which is essentially more packs (five vs two?) of the 4th gen Lithium type battery, and found once the pack was "unbound" (and it was not easy, required drilling out of permanent rivets) the loose cells expanded in length close to two inches, and it was very difficult to get back together. Pipe clamps were used to compress it and he was barely able to get it back into one piece. The implication being that it's not easily rebuilt.

#28 Mendel Leisk, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't sound much different from many other Auto repair processes, requiring pullers and special tools - I'm sure the battery rebuilders have already worked out how to do it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Second and third gen batteries have some sort of nuts/bolts at the end of the pack, and when you take it apart it just sits there. Fourth gen batteries are very new, have permanent rivets, and the pack expands about 2" when the rivets are drilled through. I think few if any rebuilders have gotten into this as yet.

11. kevin.c

kevin.c Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this sounds dumb but just try poking around under the hood with a flashlight. Sometimes the dealer forgets to clip something, leaves tools lying around, etc.