1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisey brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Malcolm338, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    I am a new owner of a Prius II I have had it for 16 day's now with 45,000 miles on the clock I have had it back at the dealers yesterday with squealing brakes they inspected all brakes and cleaned out dust from rear drums. But to day the noise is back again i have read the privies posts all 167 of them but no permanent fix found.

Mine seems to be coming from the right front wheel drivers side UK after stopping in traffic and puling away it squeal's very loudly for 2 or 3 revolutions of the wheel and then stops until you stop again then it dos it again.
    If the roads are very wet and the brakes are wet it dos not do it only on dry days.

One person said it was the ante squeal shims coursing the noise I wonder if I took them out on that wheel to see if it will stop will try that later this week.

P.S. This web site is grate I have Lerner a lot from sitting up all night on it.
    fist fuel up to day 426 mile 46.6 MPG not bad for fist time user.​

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Malcolm, and welcome to PC. The most common cause of noise from the Prius brakes is light rust on the discs mainly when the discs are cold and damp (not unusual in our climate). Try braking from no more than 50 mph in neutral a few times to clean the discs up. Using neutral forces the car to use the disc brakes not regen braking. The back discs are often the real culprits as they do very little work. A good idea is to come down an incline (plenty in your area) in neutral braking steadily at least once a week.

In normal use the disc brakes are only used below 7 mph so you can see why they go rusty, the advantage is the pads last for up to 200,000 miles.

Do not use the parking brake to try to clean up the rear discs as this has it's own set of brake shoes inside a small drum inside the discs.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you get used to the car you will find "providing your not doing all short runs" you will get up to about 55mpg over the winter but as the whether warms up this will rise to in the region of 60/65. Blow your tyres up to 38/36 or higher if you do not mind a slightly rougher ride and block the front grill for the winter. Both these actions will improve fuel consumption.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have just reread your post. If you intend taking out the pads to inspect the shims make sure you disconnect the 12 volt battery before you start.

This is very important as the brake hydraulic pump can start "with or without the fob in the ignition" and eject the caliper pistons.

Do not open any bleed valves as the brakes are very difficult to bleed and are designed with back pressure in the system if this is released the car will through brake fault codes.

A little copper slip on the shims helps reduce brake squeal.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just saw ed chyna on wheeler dealers put copper grease on the back of the brake pads on a jag to prevent squealing.

6. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips but I don't think it is rust as the front pads and disks where new on the week before I picked it up.And I drive it every day it never standee longer than 12 hours
    But it is very loud and very annoying.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check that the dust shield behind the disc is not bent and touching the disc, but if I were you I would return the car to the dealers and get them to sort it as this is obviously repeatable and should be corrected by them.

8. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    took it back to the dealer to day and they coppersliped the pads on the O/S/F wheel it is quiet at the moment will wait and see how long it lasts.

9. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do this as well. Not only does it reduce brake noise, but it also aids in transferring heat away from the brake pad.

10. shaywin

shaywin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    had same prob with my 2009... Cu grease helped so far but heard same squeal twice after 2 weeks
    --- heard same noise but went away within a few seconds. hope that's not happening again cauz it's a shameful prius running supposedly quietly ;)

11. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    now april noise never came back car runing grate love it. work mates say it looks crap I dont care.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great outcome, but do get into the habit of using the brakes in neutral occasionally to keep the discs clean, but keep it below 50 mph when you do this. I know as a professional driver you would not normally do this.

Do not bother about your mates "they're jealous" just keep mentioning how much the road tax is that will soon get them quiet.

Your fuel consumption will improve as the weather gets warmer, I am now getting low 60's and looking forward to mid 60's+ in a few weeks.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.