1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaking sound from wheels during rolling start/Brake Noise (merged)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nemrut, Sep 6, 2009.

1. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my car the regenerative technology whines, but doesn't squeal. The squealing is usually caused by brake pad material. Usually goes away in about 10 seconds after the car starts moving.

2. waleedinam

waleedinam New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    im glad to find this, i actually have a 2006 prius with 59000 i bought it with 54k and it jus started making the squeaking noise after my first trip from richmond to dc. it was fine the whole way until i got back and drove it to work the next day, i had the guys at haley toyota look at it before i went and they said the brakes and everyting else checked out fine, an when i went back after my trip they got smart with me and said if it was fine friday then they are fine now. I took it to my personal mechanic and he took the wheel off and checked out the brakes and rotors which checked out to be just fine, there was a slight bit of rust which he cleaned off but the noise is still there! and its crazy because it will start from the front of the car then after a few stop and goes i will hear it from the rear. now since the car generates energy from the wheels. So could there possibly be something in the hub or middle of the wheel that helps generate energy that might have gone bad that might be causing this issue. and yes its the same noise every one else described.

3. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The root cause of the low-speed brake squeal is brake pad glazing/contamination and/or rotor rust. Prius hydraulic brakes don't get used as much as on conventional cars, where routine braking clears the problem. I've had all brake pads deglazed and the rotors cleaned once early this year, and I think the noise is coming back.

I'll go down a steep hill in neutral (no regen brakes) and try clearing the noise.

4. AZDriverMan

AZDriverMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have the exact same issue. This is definitely not normal. I took it to Toyota and they think it needs a new brake actuator....still trying to figure out why it's that if it is only in reverse.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. AZDriverMan

AZDriverMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, my Prius is a 2006, so it isn't covered in that TSB. In my 2006 Prius the car makes a clicking sound when going from park to reverse or from park to drive. When it goes from park to reverse, it also moves the car sometimes and then I hear a squeaking from the front of the car when I start backing up. When I showed it to the service adviser, she told me it was totally normal and that they were backed up on everything.

I did try braking several in N to see if it would take care of the squeaking noise (maybe by cleaning it), although it did not. The service adviser told me that next time I do routine maintenance to have them clean something (a pump maybe?) and then the squeaking noise would stop... Although if it is any issue similar to the bulletin, it may be a separate issue.

7. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i heard the squeaking noise for the first time a couple of days ago, it seems to be making the noise when the car is parked for a long time when backing up. Can i make a few videos to support the TSB or they really need to see it happen on the spot? also is this covered under my extended warranty? (38k miles) any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks

The Critic likes this.
  8. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    I am a new owner of a Prius II I have had it for 16 day's now with 45,000 miles on the clock I have had it back at the dealers yesterday with squealing brakes they inspected all brakes and cleaned out dust from rear drums. But to day the noise is back again i have read the privies posts all 167 of them but no permanent fix found.

Mine seems to be coming from the right front wheel drivers side UK after stopping in traffic and puling away it squeal's very loudly for 2 or 3 revolutions of the wheel and then stops until you stop again then it dos it again.
    If the roads are very wet and the brakes are wet it dos not do it only on dry days.

One person said it was the ante squeal shims coursing the noise I wonder if I took them out on that wheel to see if it will stop will try that later this week.

P.S. This web site is grate I have Lerner a lot from sitting up all night on it.
    fist fuel up to day 426 mile 46.6 MPG not bad for fist time user.

9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should post this in the Gen II forums.

10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of things can make a brake "squeak" or "chirp." If it's not the wear indicator hitting the rotor, it could be a bit of dirt or debris that got into the brakes.

I had a loud "squeak" this morning. Three loud ones, and I hit the brake because I wasn't sure if it was something in the background of what was playing over the radio or the left-front wheel. I thought I had something caught in my wheel.

As soon as I started rolling again, it was gone, but there was short quick "squeak" when I was pulling into a parking lot and the front end got a slight jolt from going up into the turn...might have worked something loose.

If it doesn't go away from applying the brakes a few time, worry. If it goes away once you press the brakes a couple of times (enough to engage the pads), it's probably nothing to worry about. At worst, rather than go to the dealership, you buy a can or two of brake parts cleaner, pull the wheel off and spray down the assembly and let the junk run into a catch pan for disposal. Do be sure to turn the rotor so you now the wheel spins freely. If that still doesn't fix it, have the mechanic look at it.

No matter what they say, if it's loud enough to be readily noticeable, that's not normal. If it's very faint, it might be "normal."

11. Trey_777

Trey_777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just did the take it up to 40.......I suggest faster.....then brake hard in neutral. I did this like 10 to 20 times and the squeaking has gone. It sounded really bad and seemed to come from all the tires at different times. Squeaking at slow speeds and then it would go away at higher speeds but then come back again at lower speeds in reverse and in drive. Did the brake at speed in Neutral (in neutral so regen braking doesn't kick in) and presto no more squeaking. Don't give up with a few tries...... keep going..... eventually it goes, this technique truly cleans your brakes.