1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy engine at idle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frontporch, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear it is going to be a simple fix

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Received the new water pump and installed it. Noticed my idler pulley has a little play side to side. Rotated smooth and quietly can’t say it spins freely like other idlers I have seen Replacements for this part are surprisingly expensive. Anyone know any diagnostic to tell this part needs a refresh? Can the bearing be replaced?

3. Steve Kahn

Steve Kahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi Guys, My first post! I have a 2007 Prius with 70K miles. I noticed my idle seemed a lot louder than normal. It sounded like tappet noise to me. But then I saw the post about the water pump. I reached in and I could feel some slop in the pump shaft, even with the belt on it!. Sure enough, when I removed the water pump belt, the idle noise was cut in half! I spent about 2 hours looking for stuff that could have gone wrong, and it was worth it because I got led right to the problem! Thanks again for your help, maybe I can help the next guy next time! Here are before and after recordings with the phone in the same position each time. Oops, wouldn't let me upload a wav file! Hmm, won't let me post links to the audio clips on my web page! lol You'll have to take my word for it! Thanks again!

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad you found this thread. I couldn’t believe the noise my water pump made. I thought The motor was at end of life but today still going strong. I also had crazy road noise that I thought was a wheel bearing that turned out to be tire wear. 20k miles on new tires and all is well. Gotta love Toyota reliability

Raytheeagle and Steve Kahn like this.
  5. Steve Kahn

Steve Kahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I got the water pump out today. It was a bit of a PITA ! Instead of grabbing the face of the wheel to hold it while removing the 3 bolts, like the guy in the video, I put a socket extension in one of the holes to keep it from turning as I tried to get the bolts out. There is an easy way to tell if your water pump is on its death bed. The bottom of the pump has a vent hole. If the seal on the pump is leaking, there will be a sticky pink mess there. It you feel coolant or see anything red or pink, you WILL need a new water pump! PriusPump.jpg

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t remember seeing any “discharge” but I am surprised to see crusting like that. On other cars I have seen weeping showing the seal has been breached. Maybe that is a byproduct of the special fluid Toyota uses. That is another headache. Matching fluids. I have owned a few used Pontiac vibes and one had green and the other Asian red. For the Prius I splurged and used Toyota branded fluid. Not sure manufacturer matters but I think you need to be careful about compatability

7. Steve Kahn

Steve Kahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is what the inside of the pulley looked like.
    And BTW, the gasket is black coated metal. The center section is raised a little bit, like the sides of a bowl. When compressed, that ridge makes the seal. pulley.jpg

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats the weep hole. Its a good idea once in a while to get a flashlight and look closely at the front of the engine for any dried speckles of red or green which means the weep hole is...well...weeping. . if you see any at all start watching the coolant level. Also look at the belt. The belt should be replaced before it hits 1000,000 miles. Mine looked ok at 75,000 miles but i changed it ayway and when i took it off it was starting to crack.

Its a really really good idea to periodically check the rad level. Not the overflow tank that's useless. Take the plastic cover off the top of the rad and that reveals the rad cap on the left on a cool engine coolant should be right at the top of the neck and not move. You should not lose any coolant ever. If you do you have a leak or are burning it. The coolant in my rad has not moved in years.

Don' put the screws back in that plastic cover. Just fit it back on. When you close the hood its trapped tight so with no screws it takes seconds to check the coolant fluid.

Every Saturday I check the oil the brake fluid the power steering fluid and trans fluid in my other car and the rad coolant. It has served me well.