1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ozymandias, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2008 that i bought is way louder than a corolla, or infact any Compact car that I've driven. After you turn it on, and starts charging the battery, it sounds high, all the other "new" cars ive driven are quieter.

I went to the dealer for this issue, but they told me it was normal. I still dont think it should be that high.

2. joebif

joebif New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have also said that the engine of my 2010 Prius II sounds like a diesel. Less then 4000 miles. Noticeable when the engine first comes on. When stepping on the gas reminds me of the noise the old four barrow carb would make. Dealer didnt see anything wrong. But I still do not like the way it sounds. I need to know if this is normal!

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    please post in the proper area

Holy thread resurrection!

You've posted in the wrong area and resurrected an over 3 year old thread. You have a Gen 3 while this is a Gen 2 area. The Gen 3 has a totally different 1.8L engine than the 1.5L in the Gen 2.

If you are experiencing an intermittent and supposedly hard to repro abnormal startup sound like shown in http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...g/70128-rough-engine-start-4.html#post1029193, I think it'd be best to document it there. It is Gen 3 specific. There are numerous other Gen 3 threads about this along w/the griping. I don't think Toyota has come forward w/anything about the cause nor the fix.