1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy Goodyear tires...normal for them or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ES44AC, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Goodyear Assurance P195/65R15 tires are getting noisy. They have about 38k on them and have at least 6/32 tread left. I keep them rotated every 5k and they are worn evenly, with no 'saw tooth' edges to make noise.

I seem to get a lot of road noise with them, more so than I remember at first.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so what did you buy to replace the Goodyears.

I bought the car used and that's what was on it when I got it. I am making the assumption that they were on there from new. The car had 8k on it when I got it.

TIA ES

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people are using michelin energy saver a/s for quietness, comfort and mpg's. some prefer other tyres for special conditions. as far as yours getting noisier, maybe it has something to do with getting closer to the innards, but 6/32 isn't that low.what pressures are you running?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have OEM Goodyear Assurance tires on my Prius, nearing 20,000 miles.

My observations are, that for a OEM tire, they haven't been bad. Good gas mileage.
    Decent tires for Spring, Summer, Fall...with rain.
    Really horrible tires in snow or ice. Horrible.

And yes, as they age they are getting louder and louder. Not the quietest tire.

But my expectations for OEM tires are fairly low, and I have to say, despite the negatives they've been pretty good for roll off the lot tires.
    I don't like them for winter driving conditions, but otherwise they haven't been too bad.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Are they further designated as Comfor Tred? In my experience, my third set now, that brand is pretty quiet. How about your tire pressures? At 42 front 40 rear they start to get a little noisy on rough road. And there is rough road everywhere these days.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think too, most any tire gets noisier as it wears so you have this "that's much better" reaction, every time you get new tires. And so on.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had the Assurance ComforTreds and they are a long lasting tire, but I did feel they got noisy even though the tread was good., I did not rotate much or at all, so the rears lasted 80K+ miles. but we had a rumble noise at higher speeds that seems gone now with new Conti True Contacts

ES44AC likes this.
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I won't buy Goodyear anymore because the 3 sets I've had, including the OEMs on the Prius, have been noisier and didn't last as long as any other tires I've replaced them with. I put 4 sets of tires each on my '88 Grand Prix and '99 Montana. The GT+4's on the '88 were great driving tires, but they were noisy and only last 18,000 miles. I forget the model, but the ones on the '99 did last 40,000 miles, though they were also noisy. I could be wrong, but I think Goodyear tends to use a harder compound. The best set out of the 8 were the Michelin's I ended up with on the '99 and that's the brand I expect to get for the Prius when the Goodyear's wear out.

8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi bisco,

I run about 3lb over what the door sticker says for both front and back. I do this with all my cars, figuring the manufacturer wants the best ride and not the best tire wear.

I agree 6/32 isn't bad at all...

Thanks !

bisco likes this.
  9. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wj,

That rumble is what I am complaining about as soon as the car starts to move I get it. Don't recall seeing the Comfor Tred on the sidewalls however I will look again. Not a wheel bearing noise but a low rumble, the faster I go the worse it is. Hate to ditch the tires when they have so much tread, I guess it's a put up or shut up deal or buy new ones! Realizing that the Prius isn't a Rolls and doesn't have a lot of sound deadening material or isolation I guess I'll live with it. Any time I can get this mileage out of a set of tires I'm happy! I could tell you stories about my Boxster or SLK and tire wear... <sigh>

Thank you

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i run mine 42/40, but i think that makes them noisier.

11. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 42,000 miles on my 2014 Prius and I have the Goodyear Assurance 195/65 15 I'm deciding if I should switch now or before winter. They are getting a lot louder had them rotated yesterday fellow said it has roughly about 10k miles left 4/32 measuring right now

Z987 ?

#11 dj2big, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  12. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dj2big,

I've looked at the side walls on the tires to see if they are marked ComforTred or whatever, they are not. The DO have an image of a fuel gauge in raised rubber and I think it says 'fuel saver' on that image. They might be fuel savers but they are sure noisy! I'll have to put up with them maybe until winter. Actually last winter they didn't do too badly in the snow, what there was of it. Plus they are marked M+S doesn't look like an aggressive tread that would rumble but they do.

Good luck with yours, what do you plan to replace them with?

Regards,

"ES"

13. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced rims and tires in July with 18" performance is improved no loss of fuel economy that I can tell I'm at 61500 miles right now I do need to buy winter tires soon though on the stock rims

iPhone ?

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My theory is, low rolling resistance tires are inherently subject to be noisier due to the extreme light weight construction. Tinny would be a good analogy. The OEM Yokohama's only weigh in at 18LBS per tire. The inner liner is supposedly 5 times thinner that standard tire construction. As a result of this, tread wear will increase the noise levels as material is lost to the road surface.

15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    these are FuelMax they came OEM on 2014 C too. Yes they are getting noisy at 22K, and had been rotated every 5k. Problem that dealer just rotated front/rear, no cross-rotation. Yes they are omni-directional, so they should be rotated left to right to reduce shark tooth wear

16. SHumann

SHumann New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2015 Prius, with Assurance 195x65x15 tires (38,000 miles). These tires have gotten very noisy, especially at highway speeds, even though we've rotated them every 7,500 miles. Our first Prius from 2006 had the same issue with OE tires, at the same mileage, so
    we switched to Continental TruContacts and have had no noise or other issues since. Cooper C35 Ultra Tours are also supposed to be very quiet.