1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy tires on 2014 Prius v package 5

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ernie1, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It seems like the tires on my new Prius is very noisy. Sounds kinda like they're snow tires in that they hum and whine a lot at low speeds. I only have about 200 miles on the car. Tires are Toyo Proxes on 17" wheels and are rated"M&S. Will the noise eventually go away as the tires wear?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried running them at a few different pressures?

3. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not yet. I'll try that.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OEM tires that came with our hatchback, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, are also pretty noisy as well.

SCH-I535

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Upgrading to a real tire will help a lot. I threw those Toyos away after about 500 miles. They have crappy handling too, and mediocre MPG. But if you keep them try 40PSI.

6. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the same OEM Toyo tires on my v. Haven't noticed them being excessively noisy and maintaining them at 40-42PSI gets me 44-45mpg average. I plan on replacing them with Michelin Energys when they wear out. However at almost 15K miles, the tires still have plenty of tread left.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Our OEM Proxes A20 at 19k miles at 41/40 PSI were never noisy and the tread wear trend suggests they'll go to 40k unless we choose to switch sooner.

8. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ernie1 - Who listens to Toyo Proxes A20 P215/50R17 90W generated hum and whine road noise, when they can tune into the sweet, melodious tones of my beautious Bride-For-Life chitchatting with her Chauffeur-For-Life as we electro-glide to our next destination, while miserly sipping fuel as we roll past gas station after gas station?

FWIW FYI: I run the Toyo Proxes on my Pv5 "Caddy In A Kimono" up-pressured at 51 PSI Front/50 PSI Rear "Cold." I enjoy the solid road feel, handling, low-to-mid 50s MPG lifetime fuel economy at 19,790-miles and counting, with even wear and beaucoup tread depth remaining (I estimate 40,000-Plus miles before replacement).

P.S.: The source of that "Whine" you hear may be emissions from the Hybrid Synergy Drive Motor-Generators. My darling wife periodically asks me, "Joe, do you hear a siren?" I regularly assure and tell her, "Darling, it is not an approaching Ambulance or Fire Truck, but merely the hybrid motors generators operating in the REGEN Mode."

shrikant_c and CanuckPT like this.
  9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I have 17" Toyo Proxes on mine and they are very quiet, but mine are not marked M&S.
    I think you may have answered your own question,
    "Sounds kinda like they're snow tires in that they hum and whine a lot at low speeds" when you said they're marked "M&S", they are Snow tyres

10. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

11. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Kithmo; I checked the Toyo Tire site and the info on this tire is that it is a highway type tire. But then again it sure seems to sound like a snow type tire. I also wonder if other v owners who don't have these tires have a similar noise which is quite pronounced at low speeds like <10mph and becomes a lot louder when the brakes are applied. I'm beginning to think it might be the hybrid regenerating system sounding off which I never noticed in my 2008 hatchback. At this point I'm just assuming there's nothing faulty with the vehicle. The whirring and whining is quite loud but not noticeable >10mph.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not the proximity notification system?

13. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most definitely not that.

14. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I'm not a tire expert and won't pretend to know everything but here are my 2 cents.

I also have the toyo A20's on plus 17' rims. I am finding they are quite noisy too but this depends on the road I am on. Certain types of roads here in my city seems to bring out a lot of road noise that I can barely hear my radio whereas other roads are quiet. I believe it depends on how much gravel or rocks are used to construct the road.

Other than that, the stiffer rubber compound on fuel saving tires such as these, as well as the lower profile rubber (assuming you have 17' wheels too) will most likely result in more noise in the cabin.

I used to have a 1989 Honda civic running with 165-60-R13's. The car was super quiet because of the higher profile sidewall and softer Michelin Mx-4 rainforce tires.

Aside from replacement tires like a few have mentioned here, perhaps if you are doing a stereo upgrade in the future, dynamat the car with some sound insulation in the doors, floor panels etc!

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the A20's and have been impressed with the ride and comfort. I typically keep them inflated to 39/37. I think they ride quieter and smoother than then the original 15" tires on my previous 2010 Prius IV. What I don't like is the replacement pricing - they're quite expensive when compared to other LRR tires. I only have about 16,000 miles on them now, but will likely switch to Michelin Energy Saver A/S unless something better comes along.

16. bloomington

bloomington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased my new 2o14 V 5 two days ago and today took it on a 140 mile road trip. I was delighted with the 47.2 mpg I received, but was deeply disappointed with the road noise especially on certain concrete roadways. At one point traveling at about 65 mph on a bypass I thought perhaps a bearing was going out it was so bad. I have A20s . I will note that when I left the interstate and travelled on a smooth paved two lane road the car was relatively quiet.

My wife has a 2009 Prius and it seems relatively quiet when driven on the same roads as I travelled on today with the V. It also seems to ride much smoother than the V 5. I can't believe Toyota would not have corrected this during prototype testing. I am hoping adjusting the tire pressure helps. If not I may do something I never considered before... returning the car to the dealer.

Update: 6/9/2014 - I did add air to front tires. They were originally at 32 psi and I bumped to 34. Don't know if it was that or I just got used to the noise, but my drive back on same roads seemed quieter . I have put about 1000 additional miles on this car since my original post and I would say 80% to 90% of the time noise level is quite acceptable especially when driving 65 or below. When it is not car is most likely on a coarse stone pavement or a concrete roadway with lateral rain grooves cut into it.

#16 bloomington, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When using Toyota recommended psi's - 33/32 - the ride is almost plush. I don't see much difference in mpg's, but inflate them up a bit to get better tire wear.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aren't all all-seasons marked M+S?

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's so true. I always have a hell of a time driving with imaginary tires, lol.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have no complaints with the original A20s at 41/40psi.