1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokia 9500 works in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TimeFor, Dec 18, 2004.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I tested the bluetooth on my 9500 in the Prius and everything works grate. It connects in a second. The phone book uploads. Sound quality is grade. Interesting enough. If I make a phone call using the the 9500 and not the Nav Screen... and then I press the phone button on my wheel it plays speaker phone on the car as if I made the call from the nav screen. My ring tones also play though my speakers. And, if I activate speaker phone on the 9500, it will play everything though the car speakers... Including MP3 audio from the phone.
    So I'm happy about that.

Photos,, Click Here
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/album_pic....php?pic_id=1039

Tell you a little about the 9500... World's greatest cell phone. The only phone that comes close to the power of the 9500 is the previous generation phone, the 9290. Which came out 4 years ago. The 9500 is amazing. WiFi internet upto 11 mbit. Bluetooth. I have the 1GB MMC card. It will record upto 6 hours of video. Players AVI, MP3, Real Player, all kinds of formats. 6 hours of talk time... but honestly... I can go for days without charging it. The battery is huge. Mainly its just like the 9290 but now with WiFi, Bluetooth, and dual 65K screens.

Heres the downside... Don't go looking for this phone in any store. I waited 6 month on preorder for this... ( longer than I waited for my Prius ) As of right now its Not Officially released in the USA. You can order them online from European stores.

http://www.celluloco.com/products/customer...49&cat=0&page=1

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Nice, but which carrier do you use?

3. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"58436)</div>
    I use Cingular. Its a GMS phone so any GSM carrier will work. Verison, ATT, T-Mobile. The ones that don't work are the carriers that uses their own networks.... IE, Sprint. Nextel may work but the walkie talkie wouldn't. I know Nextel uses Sim cards so their normal phone service is most likely GSM

4. tag

tag Senior Member

I use Verizon. I thought their network was CDMA.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Verizon uses CDMA.

Nextel uses iDEN, a proprietary technology which, like GSM, is a derivative of TDMA; however, GSM phones cannot be used on its network.

Cingular, AT&T and T-Mobile are the GSM carriers in the US.

6. bweston

bweston Junior Member

You forgot another downside... $1,149 is a bit much to pay for a mobile phone, for my tastes anyway... sounds great though!

b

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Yep, you'll get a real nice desktop PC for that price.

Further, it appears to be a fairly huge thing at around 6" in length and weighing about half a pound. So, maybe more a bit more functionality than, say, a Treo 600, but it's got the size to match.

8. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please explain how you managed? I've tried everything but with no success.

Thanks

9. Mish

Mish New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Tramp @ Feb 26 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]216862[/snapback]</div>
    Have you had any success since? I've just purchased a 9500 and get it delivered in a few days!

10. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like the key elements are Nokia and the Symbian OS.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure if the 9500 works the same way (series 80) vs a Series 60 phone, but when I transferred contacts over it was important to make sure the phone had the car paired and trusted.

And why a 9500 vs a 9300? The 9300 is a lot cheaper and almost portable. :) Either way, fantastic phone.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor @ Dec 18 2004, 12:01 PM) [snapback]58439[/snapback]</div>
    I'm gonna have to edit this some if you don't mind.

GSM

Verizon is a CDMA carrier - Not GSM

AT&T was bought by Cingular so they're like, gone.

All carriers use their own networks. Cell phone companies who rent a network from another carrier(s) are called MVNO's (Helio, AMP'd, OnStar, etc etc) Sprint LOVES renting thier network out.

Nextel is a TDMA/iDEN network. No other carrier in the world uses that. Motorola developed stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 18 2004, 02:30 PM) [snapback]58469[/snapback]</div>

Yea, what he said. I'm tooooo slow.